Toyota Is Moving Its US Headquarters From California To Texas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Apr 28, 2014.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

2. MacLC macrumors 6502

Every so often I have business in Los Angeles. Every time I do, I go to Torrance for shopping. Hopefully other Japanese companies can move in to where Toyota left so the community stays intact and Marukai and Mitsuwa stay open.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One day, states and localities will wake up and realize how much these deals end up costing the taxpayer.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

And this

"The LA Times notes that 75% of Toyota's cars that are sold in the U.S. are built in America — mostly at plants in Texas, Mississippi, and Kentucky — so the relocation will place the automaker's headquarters closer to its production centers."

Had nothing to do with it.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This too.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

And....? that describes the normal status quo for Texas vs Cal. Tax and land value in CA is sky high, and regulations in CA are notoriously strict.

*that statment could be made for TN, MS, GA, AL, etc.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In rdowns' defense, the same thought process was used by Boeing and the move of their world headquarters move to Chicago, so they could be closer to both United and American Airlines...

.. yet they kept their main plant in Seattle, and built one in North Carolina; 1500 miles in each direction to each plant?? :confused: :confused:

I agree with that, however it depends on where in Texas they go. Land value is just as high in urban areas such as the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro area, along with Houston. Though, I will say that it is cheaper for the cost of insurance, as they don't have to pay for a separate line of earthquake insurance.

For the record, I own a Toyota Highlander, though mine was built in Japan.

BL.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Those easier regulations worked out well for the people of West, TX. Will they ever learn?

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

California is liable to see more of this in the upcoming years. Even New York is working to try and convince businesses to relocate there by offering great tax incentives for the first ten years. Texas has no state income tax and a very favorable climate for business. California recently voted to increase taxes. Not good for convincing business that your state is where they want to be.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Which regulations are you talking about?

Real estate prices and rentals have been high in California for decades, and, for decades, companies have invested in places where housing is cheaper. It helps to attract employees. It seems like a natural business cycle to me. The only thing that seems out of place is why housing has been so high in California when unemployment has also been high.

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

and what's the cost of less jobs for your citizens?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In the continuing effort to make America a race to the bottom, Rick Perry is spending $10,000 per job, according to reports. Why should states be subsidizing corporate moves? These aren't new jobs, these are jobs poached from other states.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

They are new jobs for Texans.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm sorry, I can't get that image of Toyota executives, flush with new cash from the state of Texas, lounging around their couches because it's just easier to take govt. monies than work.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

*if* true. That's a drop in the bucket. If each job is bringing in $50k+ salary, granted many will be much much more... Huge construction contracts. Transit contracts, the amount of money paid out to suppliers for the move.

All being given to Texans to dump into Texas housing and retail economy. That's huge.

Will pay for itself in no time.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So screw everyone in California who is losing their job?

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I guess that is a question to ask the governor of California. This didn't happen overnight.

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

With most company moves especially corporate relocations the company will offer most employees relocation packages to move to Texas. Some will go and some will find new jobs.

Do you seriously think *everyone* that works at the headquarters in CA will lose their job?? :confused:

19. alent1234 macrumors 603

more like he's not spending a dime, but the state won't collect millions in property taxes and a few other taxes they wouldn't have collected anyway if toyota didn't build a new HQ there

it's why silicon valley was in california. they have HUGE R&D tax breaks for companies

20. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I go to Mitsuwa in Edgewater NJ at least once every other month. (2 hour drive). Great place for Japanese people to stock up their pantries.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Ah, we have one of those in Chicagoland as well.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yawn... Call me when we drop out of the top 10 largest economies in the world. Until then, I'd say we seem to be doing just fine.

23. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

My wife wouldn't want to live in NY (or the USA) if Mitsuwa wasn't an option. The Chinese super markets hold her over for some things until we can get to the Japanese one. Heaven forbid she gets rice grown in Thailand. It has come down to Korean and Japanese rice are the only kinds she likes.

24. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

LOL, that's exactly the idiotic and arrogant thinking that leads to California's downfall.

CA's politicians are taking care of that.

-t

25. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Temporary jobs, Toyota will probably just offer tempting relocation packages for its staff in CA to move to Texas, most workers will take them.

I worked for Boeing, and Big Blue for years, this kinda thing happens all the time. At least at those companies.

They want to retain their staff they already have, there is a very good chance that they will offer to pay for their employees moving expenses and even a nice little bonus check for them to move and follow the company.

Big Blue and Boeing did it all the time if a new campus was built or someone had to be transfered, they would pay Movers, Pay your downpayment on a new house, pay for all the local fees to get things setup, ehll they even offered someone to help enroll your kids in the local schools.

----------

California has a bigger economy than most countries in the entire world, its also a huge powerhouse in the US as well. It won't be downfalling any time soon.