Toyota's Fine Only 16.4 M?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Apr 5, 2010.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/05/autos/toyota_nhtsa_fine/index.htm?cnn=yes&hpt=T1

Do you think 16 million dollars is a large enough fine for this offense?
    Toyota broke the law and put lives at risk and that's all they have to pay?
    I remember Pfizer paid over 2 billion for a lesser offense. link

I don't think Toyota should get off the hook with these pittance of a fine. If this were GM or Chrysler, people would be up in arms to shut them down.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If the issue truly is the gas pedals, then I mean the max is the max. People already think the government is protecting their investment in GM by hammering Toyota saying they wouldn't do it to GM if they were caught of lying instead. Making a special case for Toyota would just make it more believable to those people.

Now if this turns out to be the ECU or another electronic problem and Toyota knew about, then something more should be done. First it was floor mats and then the gas pedal assemblies. It would show that Toyota even when outed would lie about a defect to save money( replacing the ECU's would not come cheap....).

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they were GM or Chrysler the government would probably just give them a free pass like they did when the bailouts happened.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I honestly think that this fine is fair. GM, Ford, and Chrysler have all attempted to hide defects in their products in the past, and there wasn't nearly as large of a hype when those companies got busted in years past.

The government is attempting to protect its' investment in GM, IMO; and they're trying to do it by spreading FUD about Toyota products.

My family purchased a 2010 Prius last week, and we love it. I highly doubt that it is going to speed down the highway uncontrollably; if it does, I'll let you guys know.

I honestly would like to see a fine issued to Jim Sikes though; although he'd probably try to scam his way out of it.

Don

5. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

the current government should of never been allowed to investigate and trial toyota.

its a very clear conflict of interest, where they have such as huge investment in government motors.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

One company mentioned here already helped make Ralph Nader famous. ;) I do believe their was tons of hype around that when the details came out.

What everyone is conveniently ignoring is that the whole mess isn't over the recalls themselves. It is if Toyota knew about them and hid them from the government. Which a lot of evidence has been pretty damning....... No government official is screaming, " Every Toyota will accelerate out of control!!!! Get rid of them now!" Only the fanboys are saying that. The worst a government official has said is for owners to stop driving their Toyota's until it is for certain the problem has been fixed.

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The toyota thing has always seemed way overblown to me its not like a sticking throttle is an un-common problem with any car. I had the throttle stick wide open twice on my first car (a mercury).

I'm baffeled by the stories of people going 120 on the highway why did'nt they turn off the car or put it in nuetral or something??

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are assuming people have any knowledge of how their car works beyond pedal go forward, go backward, brake stop. When it comes to cars, most people have no common sense.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I had herd the guy who crashed at 120 because of the pedal sticking was a cop :confused: but who knows.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah it was a cop in a rental ES350 I believe the model was. A few factors...

A) Toyota doesn't allow the car to go into neutral if the engine is above 5000 RPM.

B) With the car being push button I bet in mid-panic the driver quickly presses the button vs holding it down until shutoff. I also bet that people today think if they turn off the car they lose steering and braking. Which isn't true. They lose power steering and the brake pedal gets harder to press, you still have control.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ca...dal_media_circus_and_stupid_drivers-editorial

How to put a runaway Lexus or Toyota into neutral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87v3CZD_2JI

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Valid but i would expect a cop or anyone allowed to drive to know better than this guy did about how to stop a run-away vehicle.

13. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

I don't think that it was fair. They should not have paid a dime! Let's see... how many times has a car manufacturer made a mistake and not get fined? LOTS. Anyways I still believe that almost everyone of them were liars, they just heard of the first one and thought hey I can make some money.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Mistakes? Yes. But, Toyota has known about this issue since at least 2004 and ignored it. Hell, they bragged about it internally about how they avoided investigations and recalls.

Why does every time I post about this subject, everyone ignores my point of it not being about the recalls that caused this fine. It is the fact that Toyota hid this defect from the NHTSA when they were legally obligated to tell them( I say fact now due to this fine being issued and in the article citing this reason).

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I agree they deserved the fine particularly because they did not re-act to the problem when they became aware of it.

I think that the fine of 16.4 M is an appropriate ammount.

16. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Seems a little low, with regards to the risk. One thing though is, how much did Ford have to pay with their tyres scandal?