Toys R Us closing for good, end of a major chain.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 14, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Toys R Us closing for good, end of a major chain.

I think Sears/K-mart will soon follow.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm surprised they have lasted this long.

3. weckart macrumors 601

It put a lot of smaller toy stores out of business in its time, too. Sic gloria transit

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Man it's hard to beat same day or overnight shipping with nearly unlimited inventory. I am also surprised it took this long.

5. john991 macrumors 68000

I wonder about the toys r us stores in Canada?

6. jerwin macrumors 68020

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

My wife ran to the store the other day to use up remaining gift cards because of this...hello switch ;)

8. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

My old man almost heart failure when he bought me an NES for $150 way back when. Yes, that included gyromite and Duck Hunt.

9. Zenithal macrumors 604

I remember taking my nephews there when they were little kids. Very different store then compared to these days. It was almost difficult to walk in the stores in those days without accidentally stepping on someone's foot if you weren't aware of your surroundings.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Tis the world we now live in in this internet age

11. jerwin macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

I wonder how many other chains are working under similar debt loads.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    Some of those deals place a premium on commercial real estate; it's nice to see things up close and in person, but not that nice.

I don't have kids, but when I buy things for my niece, it's so much easier to let amazon do the shipping.

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The above pic is funny just because my wife and I were also talking that Amazon should buy up toy-r-us like they did with whole foods. What what I heard the stores do well but just executive choices made a few yrs back is what started this downfall. People do like to see products up close and every xmas either myself or my wife ends up running there at 1am for last min gifts or exchanges. I think the stores could survive with the right management.

13. jerwin macrumors 68020

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is sad. More than once, ToysRUs saved the day when we needed a Christmas present for the grandkids. You know, when they wanted that rather obscure Daniel Tiger trolley car instead of the other 242 Daniel Tiger toys that were on the shelves at Target or Walmart. Those stores didn't have the trolley...but ToysRUs did. And by driving out there, we got it even faster than Amazon Prime.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

16. jerwin macrumors 68020

such a shame, really. I like my neighborhood's Whole Foods. Oh well, there's aways Wegman's.

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Wegmans is the *right* way to operate a grocery business.

18. BoxerGT2.5, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Welcome to the digital age, where brick and mortar stores are becoming more and more extinct by the year.

19. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

No excitebike no care

20. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

What with all those free surprise points they keep sending me every week. They got smart about their points, but they were a fun company to "shop" at.

21. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Same here. Returning anything at Sears was always a PITA. Stopped going due to this many years ago. I still go in every now and then, and it is a ghost town. Almost as bad as our local Target store.

Strange times. I still remember being excited to go to TRU. Wondering what the latest video games were. FYI...that was back in the day, if a game stunk you could return it without question, but then again...no internet or reviews to guide us.

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Mom and pop small business stores who lost their businesses to the big "brick and mortar" stores are probably getting a kick out of this.

23. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

True, but there is no substitute for good customer services. Amazon is great to deal with, and Walmart doesn't give you grief on returns. The local Best Buy here is very good. Prices on par and good in person service. (phone service stinks though). I remember when I would not set foot in a BB due to pricing and customer service. Nice to have a local store that has been good. At least the stores in my area.

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I wonder if seeing all these corporations fall is pushing my negative feelings. It's like I'm watching my world change and it doesn't feel positive. I think of the workers, I think of my childhood, and it makes me feel very saddened.

I do wonder with the rising costs of college, the failing of vocational schools, the entry level jobs vanishing, are we going to see poverty increase?

Healthcare too expensive, cost of living becoming exorbitant, where are we headed? No wonder there is so much discontent in people.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Toys-R-US are closing down in the UK too. I wonder how much the high-paid executives will pay back their salaries for having driven a company into the ground. (Why, yes, I am being sarcastic)

Wealth inequality in the US (and the UK) is becoming increasingly immoral and counter-productive. The rich do not need workers much any more, so they're pulling up the ladder. The horrible thing is that the wealthy have learned to manipulate everybody else - so the GOP talks about abortion, 2A, 'religious freedom' etc. while voting huge tax cuts for the rich. Honestly I wonder when the electorate will wake up and smell the coffee before there is such widespread desperation that civil unrest occurs.