tracking a stolen iphone

hassoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
hi my iphone has been stolen, the iphone is password locked. how can i track it other than find m iphone app and icloud? heard that i can track it using a MAC address. how? and how how can i obtain the MAC address since the phone isn't with me? i still have the full package though. any help will be appreciated. thank you so much!

hassoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
not sure what you mean by that?

what's wrong with find my iPhone?
haha i mean i still have the box that it came in with the barcode and numbers on the back and stuff.. i'm just wondering where is the MAC address though.
and concerning Find my iphone, unfortunately icloud isn't yet used on the phone and i tried icloud.com to track it and they told me that i should have set up icloud on an ios or mac device.
so actually the only way to track is using a third party software using a MAC address plus i'm sure the thief will restore the iphone to factory settings and i could not track it again using find my iphone.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You cannot track your phone by any means other than Find my iPhone.

The carrier could - in principle - however you will never get them to do so.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Only things you can do is use Find My iPhone and call your carrier and tell them your phone was stolen so they can blacklist the number.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You cannot track it at all if you didnt install the find my iphone feature on the phone before it got stolen.
Not with mac adress or anything. Its gone.
Next time first thing you do is enable that feature.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
heard that i can track it using a MAC address. how?
Ask the source that made that claim.

Always consider the source. Hearing something doesn't automatically mean that it's true. You can't track it by MAC address.

so actually the only way to track is using a third party software
You can't track it with third party software if you didn't set it up prior to the loss. These things are proactive measures. All you can do at this point is write it off and have the carrier blacklist it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This may sound too simple, but often times we don't think of the simplest things first in times of panic. Have you tried just calling the phone or sending a text and seeing if anyone answers? We often jump to conclusions thinking our property is stolen when we actually lost it. I have heard any a story of a good Samaritan turning a lost phone in to the authorities, or even something as simple as the lost and found for the establishment where it was initial lost. You might luck out!

James321

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
I am so sorry for you. I think using Find My iPhone would help you. Wish you find it as soon as possible..