Tracking feels too slow on the Magic Mouse… anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheSpaz, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

OKay, so I've been using a wired Mighty Mouse for as long as I can remember and I am able to move the cursor further on the screen in the same amount of hand movement than I can with the Magic Mouse. However, if I move really fast, it seems like the mouse goes faster… but when I slow down, it goes even slower than my Mighty Mouse.

Anyone else experiencing this? Just to get to my Dock, I have to lift the mouse a couple of times… hmm… it wasn't a problem on my Mighty Mouse..

Oh, by the way… I have the tracking speed cranked all the way up.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=812101

3. macfido macrumors newbie

It Works!

Have just downloaded mouse zoom.

I set the scale to maximum and it all works fine.
    Thanks to all who suggested this.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wanna try an experiment? Check this out.

Move these 2 highlighted files to the Desktop, then delete them from the Extensions folder.

Then restart.

The mouse should be nice and fast again!

I already tried it.

Attached Files:

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

uh that seems like a bad idea

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It didn't harm anything. I put them back after and it's back to normal.

The worst you'd have to do is download the Magic Mouse driver again from Apple.com.

It was just interesting how much better the cursor felt after removing those 2 files.

7. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Ditto. I just downloaded MouseZoom (free) and it provides a pretty wide range of speed adjustments.

We shouldn't have to hack the system to get Mighty Mouse performance, but until Apple updates the Magic Mouse SW, MouseZoom helps.

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

MouseZoom is just a front end to the scaling terminal command. Also, we shouldn't have to hack our system to get the mouse to track like the Mighty Mouse (even though MouseZoom still doesn't make it feel right)

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

But Steve Jobs doesn't want you to have a mouse that goes any faster than the Magic Mouse's top speed.

Don't question the Steve.

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Yet you're able to issue a command to OS X via the Terminal. Not everyone knows this, granted, but it's there.

You can control mouse tracking through the Terminal, as well as kill mouse acceleration.

11. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would removing two files, and then just replacing the same two files again fix anything?

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Removing them shows that the cursor speeds up, but you lose the ability to scroll. Replacing them slows down your cursor again, but you gain scrolling ability. It was just an experiment to show that it's not the mouse, it's the drivers.

13. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Are you all those kind of people who like their mice "set to crackhead" as I like to call it?

Like any time someone else uses your computer they find the mouse tracking way too fast?

14. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Trying to understand how this comment contributes ANYTHING to the discussion. Un-subscribing from this thread now.

15. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I noticed the discussion had come to a conclusion (the solution the OP needed), so I decided to ask the question that came to mind when I read the thread. It's called conversation.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

On my Mighty Mouse, I have my tracking set to one notch lower than maximum. Apple's cursor settings have never been very fast, so second notch from the right is perfect for me. However, when I pair my Magic Mouse, the tracking is ultra slow and it's still not as comfortable to use even on the highest tracking setting.

For now, I've gone back to using my Mighty Mouse because it's actually comfortable to use and I'll wait until Apple updates the drivers to give a little better performance. I'm not the only one who thinks it's too slow.

No, I do not use my mouse at breakneck speeds. I can't stand Windows tracking speeds.

17. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I tried it out at Best Buy. I didn't like the feel of it either. The edges were too sharp for my tastes. Plus the scrolling there was disasterous. I am going down to the apple store to try it out soon. But is it worth the money to buy it in your opinion. Yeah I know that it is up to me to decide I would just like some comments from other users.

18. maarkp macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clear detailed explanation.........

19. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

20. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

And word on if 10.6.3 fixes the slow cursor problem?

21. pmrosado macrumors newbie

Fix slow/jerky tracking with magic mouse.

I started my journey by trying to find a new mouse for my iMac as I was going mental with the poor performance of the Magic Mouse. Fortunately I've found people with this very same problem and I've focused my attention on resolving it.

1- Delete the files AppleMultitouchDriver.kext and AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext from 'MacHd\system\library\extensions'

2- Restart

3- Install apple wireless mouse update 1.0 (can be download from apple's website)

4- Restart

5- It should be perfect now but do install the free MagicPrefs should you need extra tracking speed.

I hope this helps as it did for me.

22. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Mouse update 1.0 is no longer available on apple's site, I've just destroyed my magic mouse support, no longer works as multitouch, recovering from Timemachine in 3, 2, 1…

EDIT: Solved reinstalling Snow Leopard Combo Update

23. Rnbnoud macrumors newbie

I tried it, but when i follow your steps and pugt back the files my mouse doesn' t work properly anymore!!. Where do i find the latest magic mouse software (cant find it anywhere) ( the update doesn' t work cuz it says i already have the newest software...

Mybe uninstall the existing software but how???

24. Azgard macrumors newbie

kext

You can use Kext Helper app to install your kext. It worked for me with both files you mentioned. I did not have to restore Snow Leopard.