Tracking nephews iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slicktype, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

So my nephew was just given a new 4s and now his parents would like to track him periodically to make sure he's not getting into any trouble.
    Is something like this possible ? I guess they are trying to be descret about it so my nephew doesn't actually know About it.
    He is 13 by the way.

Thanks

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Install the Find My Friends app on it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-friends/id466122094?mt=8

3. SmittS macrumors regular

There are ways that I won't advocate for many reasons. A little privacy goes a long way. If the kid is such a ****up, why get him an iPhone?

4. AndyinAtl macrumors member

Find my iPhone assuming they have his apple id and password (which @ 13 they def should) but i suspect the 13 year old kid is going to be technically savvy enough to know that he is being tracked no matter what they do.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

What happened to trust & communication? Boundaries ?

In lieu of trust, no iPhone.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

If you really want it to be discrete, you can jailbreak it and hide the Find My Friends icon.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Become President and have the secret service follow the kid around (you're not a republican are you? I hear the race is wide open)

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Why do we get into this whole debate EVERY TIME something like this is asked? They've done what they've done, now let's help them solve their problem.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok. Ok. Ok.

Turn on find my iPhone. Tell the kid if he changes the password or turns off find my iPhone he loses it.

Then track him. Like an animal.

/

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If they don't trust him and have to track him why even give him an iPhone

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

In the end he is probably savvy about trackers such as Find my iPhone, and can simply turn it off and just say he lost gps signal, or just leave the phone somewhere while he goes off to be a bad boy.

As a parent of three i soon came to realise that if you try and push a child in a certain direction they can soon rebel and push in another. Some don't even care about you knowing where they are and carry on regardless.

They will have to make their own mistakes and hopefully learn by them and as parents we are on the sidelines for guidance only.

Hope all turns out ok for the teenager.

13. BowTheMan89 macrumors regular

This. Just visit iCloud.com and log in with his info and they will be able to see where his iPhone is at anytime. If he's smart enough he will leave his phone behind when he sneaks out of his friends house at night.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Can you get Latitude on the iPhone? It is a Google App and part of Google chrome & Maps. When you allow it to report your location, you can see people using it moving across the map...lol

15. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yes, Latitude might be better than Find My Friends here. It provides logging so you can check where he's been as well as where he is, and unlike Find My Friends, it can be accessed from a web browser.

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Or if he doesn't care about flaunting to his parents that he knows what they are up to, he'd change his icloud password ;).

Hell, all he has to do was say, "Well, they say it's safer to change your password every so often so I did so... " *innocent look* and then add, "They also say you aren't supposed to give your password to anyone else! Why do you need my password?"

17. BowTheMan89 macrumors regular

Parents: "because we pay your bills and we want to be able to see what apps you're buying"

I mean we could go all day at this lol. but keeping track of his info and checking via icloud.com would be the best option i think, no app you have to hide on his phone, no confirmation needed from him.

Good luck to you OP, im only a few years removed from being a teen, we were all sneaky little punks.