Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charleshamilton

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
4769054086_81b9638f9e.jpg

mzl.mrgejgjp.320x480-75.jpg

It´s possible now to track your iphone without jailbreaking! Go to http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lati...5e30392e625d5d4509da6b32770b9902&affId=972145 and install "latitudie". It´s only 2 bucks!

It works with Google Latitude. First of all you need to activatie Google Latitude. You can do this on http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/latitude/intro.html .

When you enable Google Location History you can see where your phone was. You can also see where your phone is at the moment.

This application runs in the background on iOS4.

Enjoy!

charleshamilton

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I bet this is fantastic for battery life :rolleyes:

Well, it only updates when the iphone is moved. In the next version you can choose the interval :). And it doesn't decrease the battery life that much, really, you should try it for yourself. My battery life is still the same.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Thief: "Haha, I just got myself a new iPhone 4! Let's keep this location tracking application on, nothing bad with ever happen!"

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What happens if he pulls the sim out, will the app still work?

I suspect at some point the thief will wipe the phone, since he'll want to use it, and/or put his sim into the card. How will the latter issue (like pill the sim out) affect the app?

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Thief: "Haha, I just got myself a new iPhone 4! Let's keep this location tracking application on, nothing bad with ever happen!"

You presume that the thief would know how to use an iPhone 4, or have ever had one in his hands before now.

You also presume that the human race is full of smart people.

However I don't see this working as most thieves turn off the phone/pull the card out.

charleshamilton

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
What happens if he pulls the sim out, will the app still work?

I suspect at some point the thief will wipe the phone, since he'll want to use it, and/or put his sim into the card. How will the latter issue (like pill the sim out) affect the app?

If he wipes the phone, the application will not work anymore. But the damage is already done, because you can see the history on the Google Latitude website (like the screenshot above)

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
If he wipes the phone, the application will not work anymore. But the damage is already done, because you can see the history on the Google Latitude website (like the screenshot above)

You assume he's going to pull the card out at his home or "base" of operation.

So you have your phone stolen in a Starbucks a couple miles from your home. The thief gets in his car and rips the card out and powers down. What now? Your location history will show Starbucks, that's it. You're just as lost as you were without the App.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
So, what are you going to do once this thief has your phone, and you're tracking it? Are you going to drive out to the proposed location and see if you can spot said thief? Are you going to knock on their door and say "excuse me, did you steal my phone"?

Or are you telling me that the police are actually going to follow up? Because frankly, i don't hold out much hope.

charleshamilton

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
So, what are you going to do once this thief has your phone, and you're tracking it? Are you going to drive out to the proposed location and see if you can spot said thief? Are you going to knock on their door and say "excuse me, did you steal my phone"?

Or are you telling me that the police are actually going to follow up? Because frankly, i don't hold out much hope.

Do you think every thief is a 200 pound guy? I don´t think so.

And maybe your phone is in the lost and found dep. Good to know, right?

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I was considering MobileMe but I'm going to tinker with this first and check out the battery impact. Thanks for the tip.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
wow at the number of people trying to shoot down this app, its fantastic. thank you very much OP for this, im going to download now!

this also works in the UK?

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
You're just going to defend this App to the grave, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Ok, you win. The App is fantastic.

No but I think everyone else is just out to bash it. It's $2 and a hell of a lot cheaper than Mobileme.

Also, someone nicking an iphone is going to have a small pin on them to remove the simcard, aren't they?

The likelyhood is that they'll take it home to remove the simcard, after which they'll turn it back on. Not everyone will know how to wipe it clean so may just stick their own simcard in and quite possibly then update it's location.

I think it's a pretty neat app, i'll try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.