Trackpad too big. Lots of accidental inputs. 13'' MBP TB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joejoejoe, Feb 13, 2017.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Anyone else find the trackpad way, way, way too big?

Every time I have the laptop on my lap, I inadvertently hit the trackpad while I'm typing, causing emails to close, send early, tabs to switch... it's crazy town.

Had a 15'' rMBP for years beforehand and never once had that problem.

On my 13'' MBP TB it's a daily occurrence and super frustrating.

2. erure macrumors regular

That problem, along with the battery draining during sleep, caused me to return my 13" MBP TB. One thing you can do is disable tap to click, but it sucks that you have to do that just to avoid accidental clicks.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Try disabling tap to click in the trackpad preferences.

4. kbk75 macrumors regular

I find the problem has lessened since 10.12.3

5. BiteSizeThumb macrumors member

You should try the 15" 2016 MBP, especially on Windows Boot Camp. It's the damn worst. I've learn to just live with it.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes.

I've returned both of the 15" 2016 models I tried in favor of a 2015.

7. montanaco macrumors regular

montanaco

Nope! Never have had that issue on the 13". When I've played with the 15" I can see how that can be an issue for some but my hands never touch the trackpad on the 13"

8. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Yea. . hate to say this but. . proper body posture is to have your fingers curved, typing with the tips of your fingers and your palms NOT RESTING ON THE LAPTOP.

I have the 15". The trackpad, while absolutely Ginormous, only gives me issues when I'm being lazy with my typing... (and mostly not even then. . though I do occasionally get cursor jump)

9. SteveJUAE, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I agree as I use several different trackpads I tend to use touch to click across all as it evens out differences in using them

When I have to use my Mrs rMB without touch to click on it's really weird

What a pain and I guess it's worse for those that use bracelets or loose watch straps etc

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

yes, returned mine. I'm too old to change my typing or arm movements etc especially for a $3000 computer.

11. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I agree to actually use the areas as wrist rests whilst typing requires careful positioning/posture to avoid bending your wrists

Personally I never use them whilst typing

12. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Kinda tongue-in-cheek, but I have to giggle. The big complaint about the touch bar was that people were taught to look at the screen and/or source text while typing, and not down at the keys--which makes the touch bar counter intuitive. Somehow, however, the whole thing about "wrists up while typing" seems to have been tossed out the window. I'm JUST AS GUILTY, do it all the time. . and sometimes a cursor jump bites me in the rump. . but I would never blame the machine for my lazy technique. Of course I'm also one of those people that gets irritated at the misuse of the words "your" and "you're" and gets homicidal when people forget to drop the E in words like "using" "trying" "thinking" ... etc.

Probably because I had all of that beaten into me so hard coming up through the ranks in school as a wee one.

13. wolfaaron macrumors regular

Occasionally when I'm thinking I accidentally touch the trackpad with my thumb or index finger and it moves my cursor elsewhere. But It doesn't happen all of the time.

14. chabig macrumors 68040

They're not really wrist rests, and they never should have been called that. At no time should anyone's wrists be resting there. However, that doesn't mean some people don't do it...

15. Easttime macrumors 6502

I haven't had this problem at all. I guess I must use a hand posture that keeps me from hitting the trackpad. I like it's size.

16. kbk75 macrumors regular

But, but....there's no E in either try or think! xD

17. Lihp8270 macrumors regular

Tried

I give up with thinkeing though.

18. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I totally agree :) other than when not typing :D

19. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

Seems like with the apple of old, the goal was to try to accomodate us, and all our unique workflows and ways of using the computer.

Now, WE need to make accomodations for the computer.

And on a related point, was there ANYONE ever complaining that the track pad on the 2010-2015 models was too small?!? Apple 'fixed' something that wasnt broke, and 'broke' it.

20. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

And yet it is EXTREMELY common, at least for me, to run across people who spell them "Tryeing" and "Thinkeing"

I saw someone spell doing "doeing" once. I think it broke my brain a little ...

21. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I agree.

Just tried a Mid-2014 with the non-force touch trackpad and wow does it feel better than the one on my 2015!

22. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

When laptop first came out I remember some manufacturers tried the touchpad in a variety of different locations and with actual physical buttons.

Now we have one of the best if not the best trackpad ever designed and people find a complaint.

I have an idea, just take the trackpad off completely and use a Bluetooth one next to it. Oh the old dongle complaint about requiring extra stuff and Apple making more money off it.

What about those old "chicklet" keyboards, maybe we need those back too. And I'm really getting tired of retina displays because all that detail just bothers my eyes.

I before e except after c.

o_O

23. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I have a 2010 macbook 13" and I hit the pad sometimes quite annoying.
    End up closing stuff or typing over text.

My fix when I'm at work is bluetooth mouse and set preferences to ignore touchpad when mouse is present.

24. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Who is "WE"? A lot of us, probably most based on comments here, are enjoying the larger trackpad. We mourn for your trouble with change, but we move on and benefit from it.

But yeah, the good old days!

And get off my lawn!

25. Fishrrman, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "Anyone else find the trackpad way, way, way too big?"

I did.
    That's why I bought a 2015 model instead.

I don't use ANY "gestures" -- in fact, the first thing I do with a MacBook is to disable ALL gestures. I want only "left click" and "right click". ALL others are disabled. I'm getting too old to remember stuff like that. ;)

I didn't care for the appearance of the oversized trackpad esthetically, either.

Edit:
    In future MacBooks, perhaps Apple ought to compromise. Perhaps a trackpad larger than the 2015's but smaller than the 2016's …?