Tracy Morgan's Gay Rant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Tracy Morgan might have gone too far in a recent stand up show. One audience member wrote, "Mr. Morgan took it upon himself to mention about how he feels all this gay **** was crazy and that women are a gift from God and that "Born this Way" is ********, gay is a choice, and the reason he knows this is exactly because "God don't make no mistakes" (referring to God not making someone gay cause that would be a mistake). He said that there is no way a woman could love and have sexual desire for another woman, that's just a woman pretending because she hates a ****ing man. He took time to visit the ******** of this bullying stuff and informed us that the gays needed to quit being pussies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying. He mentioned that gay was something kids learn from the media and programming, and that bullied kids should just bust some ass and beat those other little ****ers that bully them, not whine about it. He said if his son that was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death. He mentioned that Barack Obama needed to man up and quit being all down with this just because he has a wife and two daughters. All of this being followed by thunderous cheer and "You go Tracys". Tracy then said he didn't ****ing care if he pissed off some gays, because if they can take a ****ing dick up their ass... they can take a ****ing joke."

links:

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=108369875920604

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_malkin/b246609_tracy_morgan_apologizes_gay_jokes_it.html

I personally never thought he was funny and I love 30 Rock! I usually have thick skin for comedy and realize sometimes, someone is gonna be offended. But this didn't sound like a bit to me, this sounds like pure hatred.

2. 184550 Guest

Eh, I read the Deadline.com article and to me, it sounds like a bit, maybe not very funny or well thought out and in bad taste, but a bit nonetheless.

I don't know what people expect when they go to a Comedy show/ club/ concert/ whatever. Whenever I go to a comedy show, I expect some comics to push the boundaries a little bit and comment on relevant social/ political/ current event issues.

I would never go to a comedy show and assume that the comic is being/ representing his/ her true views.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I want to see boundaries pushed too. I don't find "easy" comics like Jay Leno funny. But this, this was just too much. And I, humbly, disagree with your last line. I think comics, the best comics, always use parts of their lives, including their views on the world, in their acts. Louis CK is a more recent example but people like George Carlin come to mind. All his anti-religious rants, you know he meant it and made it funny, too.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just Tracey being Tracey. Personally, I don't have a problem with anything said in a comedy club.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He was just playing to his audience.

The show was in Nashville.

When he comes to San Francisco, he probably rips on southerners who **** their first cousins.

6. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Tracy then said he didn't ****ing care if he pissed off some gays, because if they can take a ****ing dick up their ass... they can take a ****ing joke."

that's funny!

7. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^Meh. Not really.

Interesting. The coverage I read said people were uncomfortable and disgusted, and walked out. Also, the venue issued an apology and distanced themselves from his comments.

Which way did it go down?:confused:

Perhaps a bit of both.....

8. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

This isn't the first comedian to say obnoxiously rude/politically incorrect things

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Yup. But will he become an outcast like Michael Richards?

10. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It was both. The guy who wrote that said some walked out, some cheered, others like him, stayed but did not approve.

11. Lord Blackadder, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Simply criticising humor for being offensive is pointless, because almost all humor pokes fun at something or someone. Humor is a very subjective thing. Also, American society tends to tolerate stereotype humor that is delivered by a member of the group being stereotyped. For example, gay jokes are less likely to be deemed offensive when told by a GLBT comedian/comedienne. But stereotype humor is less tolerated when delivered by a performer who is not a member of the group being stereotyped. A white comedian doing a Chris Rock routine would probably get into pretty big trouble, for example.

One other thing worthy of note is that the Facebook post that initiated the scandal was posted by an angry, offended person and taking a comedian's humor (or indeed any statement) out of context, especially if the information is word-of-mouth from an undocumented source, is a very dangeorus thing to do. It may not have "sounded" as bad within the context of the routine.

With that being said, it seems to me that Morgan went too far, and may suffer some major consequences.

12. 184550 Guest

When I was reading the Deadline article I actually laughed out loud at that part. :p

13. Andeavor macrumors 6502

As a comedian one of the rules is you do not step over the line when you make jokes about people you have no relation to. You can joke all you want about the dos and don'ts, but when you call them all pansies and abnormal, you've clearly gone too far.

And if you decide to joke about other stereotypes you better have a zinger that makes your own stereotype look even worse.

Many comedians these days think the have to be extra offensive to get the attention but unfortunately they forget where the line between being a comedian and being an ass is. And in this case, Tracy was an ass.

14. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I disagree, I believe that sometimes the funniest thing you'll ever hear is the most offensive thing you could imagine.

But if you started in a line of comedy that solely deals with dishing out bombs on any particular groups of peoples or individuals then it would be very difficult to keep the funny.

The very nature of an 'offensive joke', if it's good, is the absurdity that corresponds with the reality. I think that it's a good thing that sometimes people aren't afraid of pushing the envelope.

15. Andeavor macrumors 6502

The whole idea of an 'offensive joke' is that you reflect it back on you making yourself look or feel worse. If you fail to do so then you're simply being rude and covering it with "just kidding" won't make it funnier.

Ellen Degeneres once made fun of that, too.

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

For the record this guy is actually insane that's not just a character he plays on thirty rock.

17. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I think there's a bit of a difference between what happened to Richards and what Tracy did. Richards' outburst was, as far as I'm aware, not a part of his act. He essentially snapped and went off on a group of people in the audience.

Tracy's incident was a bit, albeit a bit that did not go over well with the audience that night.

As a comedian you have to push the bounds of your act and sometimes you're going to end up pushing too far. This was one of those situations.

I'm glad to see that Tracy apologized, but I hope that this doesn't stifle his (or others') act in the future.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

It's true that Richards tirade occurred because of heckling, but he turned it into a bit. I think he thought he was being funny while he was going off attacking the hecklers.

Responding to hecklers is pretty much a part of being a stand up comedian. Richards just did it wrong.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Indeed. Mocking a sterotype is only funny if the performer doing it does so while assuming an absurd or ridiculous character that is clearly as bad as or worse than the stereotypes they are repeating. Bill Cosby did this in his great routine "Bill Cosby on Prejudice" from way back in the early 70s, where he assumes the character of a bigot and then launches into a slew of offensive sterotypes. In the end it is a humorous but poignant criticism of stereotypes.

20. leekohler, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That would have been funny, had the rest of the garbage not preceded it.

The rest of what he said wasn't funny no matter what the context.

Well, unless he meant to be making fun of people who actually believe those kinds of things. But it doesn't sound like he was doing that. He should know better.

And before anybody says we're being too sensitive- BS! Eddie Murphy used to make fun of us all the time in a very funny way. We didn't complain. But this garbage is just nothing but pure nastiness.

21. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I don't disagree with that either, - the whole self depreciating slant, but how can you discount, for example the delicious genre of 'dead baby' jokes?

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1x0MBLKlrk

I know this pissed some people off but I think it's pretty funny.

But I agree with you some of Jordan's **** was total ********. "I know it's not a choice because god doesn't make mistakes" wtf is that??

23. Andeavor macrumors 6502

In what context is a dead baby funny?

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Eddie Murphy never offended me at all. I got it, it was funny.

But saying you'd kill your kid, amongst other things this moron Morgan said, is not funny no matter what.

25. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

in the context of a dead baby joke