Trade a Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz (Unibody) For An iMac 24" 2.8Ghz (April 2008)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by patrick001, Mar 31, 2009.

1. patrick001 macrumors member

patrick001

This guy is offering to trade up his 24" iMac (2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD) he bought just 3 weeks ago, (and just a few days before the revision announcement) for my Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz. He also wants to give $250 on top of the deal. Portability aside, would this be worth it?

2. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Don't do it!
    The unibody has a better gpu. Plus look at the general retail values, the mbp you are talking about sold for at least $600 more. On top of that it isn't quite fair to say portability aside; if you would compare a mbp with a desktop machine with the same benchmarks, you'd find the mbp is more expensive. It costs money to be able to make a fast computer small. This makes the mbp's resale value last a lot longer than the imac's.

Also, don't forget about the technology that was put into the mbp: a back lit keyboard, multitouch trackpad, unibody construction and the ability to switch between gpu sets. The imac has nothing of the sort. Trading it in for a machine with similar specs would be a rip off.

If he changed the 250 to 600, I'd do it. 500 would make me think. Anything less than that and I would turn it down.

Btw, don't think I am a imac hater. As soon as the back to school special rolls around I am picking up one for myself :D

3. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

4. patrick001 thread starter macrumors member

patrick001