Trade in Program to cause launch day delays?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Sep 14, 2013.

1. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Do folks think that a lot of people online buying the new iPhones will be using Apple's trade in program? And since that requires the genius to do a wipe while you wait (so you can confirm that they wiped it), will that cause delays? I assume they do something like a DFU Mode wipe. That doesn't take long. But there will be hundreds of folks buying on launch day. If, for example, 30% of them are doing a trade-in, and a trade-in doubles the time of the transaction, that may really slow things down.

Also can you imagine how huge Apple is going to be in the used iPhone sales industry by this time in October? Apple will re reselling millions of used phones is my guess. Maybe even 10 million. And they will presumably be shined up and updated and ready to sell by the Christmas season. A lot of those phones will be 4 and 4S and that phone still looks fantastic provided you haven't cracked the front or back. It really is a nice wearing phone. It looks great until it looks like crup. This resale program is probably part of Apple's answer to how to sell phones to the third world. iOS7 on 5 million 4S's resold as used for $350 with Apple making a nice profit margin on that resale. That might be Apple's real low cost phone play.

2. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I think they will only initiate the wipe, not see it go all the way through... Perhaps I'm wrong.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I think they only initiate the wipe. When you take you phone in for repair, they just ask you to hit the erase iphone button and that's it. And the prices for trade ins aren't flexible so it's either a yes or no.