Trade Macbook Pro "17 2009 for Macbook Air "13 oct. 2010 - Fair trade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pianisten, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Pianisten macrumors newbie

Hi there

I had my Macbook for sale on a site when I was being contacted by a person who offered me to trade my MacBook Pro "17 june 2009 (no extras, just the regular 500GB) for his Macbook Air "13 oct. 2010 with a 256GB SSD. Is this a fair trade do you think? I do not think of efficient between the two books, I am just interested in the value of these two. Personal I really think the Air is a great small laptop, which is way easyer to carry around then the Pro.

So, what do you think? Is it a fair trade for both of us or is there an advantage?

Best Regards
    Mathias

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Pianisten thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know that I will lose when we are talking performance. But in spite of that the SSD is way faster than the HDD and as I said, I am not interested in performance differences. I have got a workstation at home, so I do not need the power of the Pro.

There is 2GB ram in the Air and 4GB in the Pro. Maybe it would be more fair if I put 4GB in the Air? I mean, the CPU is the same..

4. iforbes macrumors 6502

It all depends on exactly which Pro you have...estimates are anywhere between 1500-1950 (you bought in June but did you buy early or mid in June?) for that model used where the air maxes out at 1500.

The real questions is, is it worth it to you? Can you trust the guy trading the Air?

5. simsaladimbamba

Then check the prices of the same used models and see for yourself.

PS: The MBP can be equipped with an SSD, I have done so, and also put the original HDD back into it.

6. Pianisten thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I have to meet with him and see the Air for myself. He says he has got AppleCare on it, so I will just go checking it at the time.

----------

It is the late june 2009.

7. mac26 macrumors 6502

I just went on mac2sell.net and I found the value of your Macs is a difference of only $10 so I suggest you go on with your trade.
    enjoy your new MacBook Air, I have one and I love mine!

8. Pianisten thread starter macrumors newbie

@mac26

That was what I wanted to hear! A clear answer. THANK! :)

9. iforbes macrumors 6502

You just wanted the answer that you wanted. I gave you an answer that there is up to $450 dollar difference between the two models, but you chose to ignore that one.

sim told you how to find the value and you ignored that one too...

:confused:

10. simsaladimbamba

That is the nature of
    [​IMG]

11. mac26 macrumors 6502

no problem, glad I could help, welcome to the future of the notebook ;)

12. Pianisten thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all! I have now made the trade and the Air i barely new, so that is very nice! It is inclusive 2 years of Apple Care, which I appreciate now the guarantee on the Pro was outdated.

13. mac26 macrumors 6502

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy the Air as much as I do!