Trade: My 1974 Volvo 144 for my friend's 2004 iMac g5 160BG 2GB RAM Mac. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ywamer, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ywamer macrumors newbie

So here's the question: Should I trade my old 1974 Volvo 144 for my friend's 2004 iMac g5 160GB Hard Drive with 1GB RAM?

My friend needs an old cheap car and I have one. I technically still use it but won't for much longer. And the thing is, it's a piece of crap. None of the gauges work. One back door can't open. 3 of the 4 windows won't roll down. The trunk has to be jimmied open with a metal bar, none of the door locks work, and I use a water bottle in place of the old cracked radiator reservoir. Plus it leaks oil like a sieve. And it's got huge rust spots all over.

But my friend can deal with the car's craptastic issues, I guess. But instead of buying it off me, I suggested an even trade for his iMac G5 1.8Ghz w/ 160GB Hard Drive (I guess it was upgraded?) and 1 GB of RAM.

He's agreed to the swap and I have to make a choice. Keep the car and try to sell if for more to some other lunatic (and hence wagering that there *will* be another blind/highly-tolerant person who may buy it) or buy an old graying noisy (the fans sound like jet engines) panther-era iMac G5 for my wife and kids to use while I have the MacBook Pro at the office.

My friend says the Imac is newer and thus a better value. I say he may have a point, but what is the real lifespan of an early G5 iMac? It surely won't last 33 years like my Volvo.

So. Good idea? Deal or no deal? What is the collective wisdom out there? Any comments? Or offers on the car? ;-)

Thanks guys. This is my first forum post. Treat me kindly.

2. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

How much can you get for your piece of junk if you sell it somewhere else?

I´d say trade if it was an Intel iMac, but G5? Not sure... You can get a new iMac for $1,200.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

"My friend says the Imac is newer and thus a better value. I say he may have a point, but what is the real lifespan of an early G5 iMac? It surely won't last 33 years like my Volvo."

It might not last 33 years, but rolling down the windows won't be a problem.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Volvo might have better battery life... You could throw a few beachballs into the back to even it up.

5. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i wasn't sure if this was a joke to start with :p

if your friend is happy to take it off you for the mac, and your looking at getting a mac anyway then i say why not.

i would say i'd personally feel bad doing the swop if i knew the car was a piece of junk, but if your friend knows all this and still wants the swop then, why not?

6. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I would feel bad too, certainly the computer is worth more than the vehicle....