trade my 24in 2.4ghz iMac for a 15in 2.0ghz MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by r21hugo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. r21hugo macrumors member

r21hugo

my friend just got a MBP in europe and when she got back she said she rather have my desktop than her MBP, so i was just wondering what you guys would do.

any advice is welcome

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Well if you're sure its 2GHz then obviously not the current model of MBP since its they start at 2.2. In fact the last 2GHz model was a Core Duo, let alone Core 2 Duo or Santa Rosa. In which case you'd be getting a bad deal in my opinion.

On the other hand, if she's got it wrong and it is actually brand new, assuming its the 2.2GHz base model, the difference in value between that and yours would be £150 (the MBP being worth more) in which case its up to you. I think Applecare for laptops is International unlike desktops. You would, of course, lose out on your wonderful screen - although you could invest in an external 24" or 30" screen instead.

If its 2GHz then I'd say leave it. If its the current 2.2GHz model then (unless you plan on gaming and need the 256MB video RAM) you should consider switching if you think you could afford a 24"+ external display. That's what I would do.

3. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Are you crazy?!?! lol If I were you, I'd keep the iMac. On the other hand, if you need a laptop, then go for it.

Where in Europe did she go?

4. r21hugo thread starter macrumors member

r21hugo

she bought it in holland. my mistake it is 2.2 ghz.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

In that case it might be worth considering. Its worth more than your iMac. Like I said, if I could afford a 24" screen, I'd probably do the trade.

6. mag2001 macrumors 6502

7. je1ani macrumors 6502

Get both! jk nah i'd rather have a SR macbook pro :D I LOVE MINE TO DEATH!!! :p

8. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Good to hear that someone else is happy with the entry MBP. I don't feel so bad saving for it. $591 away baby!

9. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

No big difference between the 2.2 and 2.4 model really. I went with 2.4 mainly for video editing and a little casual gaming.

10. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Yeah. I plan on doing some light-casual gaming.