Trade my ipad pro for 2015 128gb MBP retina???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddiehaskell, Dec 2, 2015.

1. eddiehaskell macrumors regular

So I bought a 32GB ipad pro, but now my laptop is broken and I could sorta use a new one, but don't require it. Just for kicks, I listed my ipad on CL and after a few days someone offered to trade their early 2015 Macbook Pro Retina (128gb) for it. The seller works at the mall where the Apple Store is and says perfect condition with box/charger. Would you do this deal? I've never did any trading so I'm a little weary of getting something that's damaged or stolen.

My ipad pro cost $640 (got 20% discount through credit card). So essentially, if the laptop is in perfect condition, I'd be buying it for $640.

Any issues to look for on this macbook model? Should I just sell the ipad straight out and get something new? I don't really want to spend more than the $640 I have in the ipad so that probably means some sort of Windows laptop.

2. makrom macrumors regular

If it is in more or less perfect condition, it would be a decent offer, as long as you are fine with 128GB.
    I would especially look at the display including the frame/bezel. Also check the hinges, they should be stiff and only have minor elasticity. See that all the keys are pressable normally. I wouldn't actually remove keys although this would be possible without damaging anything, but look at the small clearances whether there's any relevant dirt build-up. Minor amounts of dirt are unavoidable, but significant amounts could mean that there's much more under the keys. This tends to be a problem with people who smoke or eat a lot while using the computer.
    Other than that, make sure that the magsafe connector sits tight, that none of the connections, the case or the charger have significant physical damages/dents and do a basic functionality test. Maybe provoke the fan to go off through some CPU intense activity, to see that it works as intended and that the components don't fail with increased temperature.

But generally, current MBPs are aging quite well. A known problem with the 2014 models was that the display frames could become discolored after a while, most likely through some air/moisture breach in the sealing.

3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Well dang me that's good advice. Must say if I had to choose between an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro, especially if I had no other laptop, it would be no contest, Miss Piggy versus The Wolfman. The 128GB should be OK, especially if you store photos, videos etc externally.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go for the trade. The 2015 13" rMBP will still have some warranty left, so you can buy Applecare if you want.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you go for the trade, have the other party meet you at the Apple store and have an appointment at the Genius Bar to examine the MacBook (and your iPad) BEFORE you "make the exchange" ...

6. greywolfe macrumors member

greywolfe

Excellent idea. That would be my way of doing the deal.

7. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I agree.. that's a great idea. Since the seller claims to work at a mall where an Apple Store is located, it should be no problem (I'd see it as a big red flag if the seller didn't agree to the appointment).