Trade my Unibody MB 2.0GHz for prior gen MBP 2.4GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaquib, Mar 22, 2009.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just wondering if I should consider trading my 2.0GHz current gen MacBook with a 4GB RAM upgrade for a 2.4GHz last gen MacBook Pro.

Here are some reasons I want to trade

- Would appreciate the larger display, and more importantly, the higher resolution.

- Do not need the portability as I just move around with it around the house, or have it on my desk connected to a 20" ACD.

- The displays should be the same, as they're both LED backlit. In fact, I'd avoid some of the reflections, but I really don't mind glossy at all.

- It'd match with my ACD a lot better.

- Faster processor. Faster graphics, though don't really play games.

- When I'm on the couch or in bed, the MacBook speakers are really not desirable at all.

- Backlit keyboard

The only reasons I can think of not to trade are:

- My notebook would be newer, probably in better condition.

- Unibody construction means more durable, probably longer lasting casing for the notebook.

- Faster RAM, Faster FSB. Newer nVidia graphics.

- Heard some issues about the nVidia chips in prior MBP's.

What do you guys think?? I'm thinking it's really a no-brainer, but I really don't want a machine that'll break after a couple of months or feel less durable compared to my current MacBook.

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I'd keep your macbook. If matching the acd is an issue for you sell the 20" and save up for the 24" led one.

3. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

I put my proposal up on Craigslist and someone has offered me a 2.4 from 2 generations ago. It has the LED display, and 1.5 years of Apple Care left, but what's really disappointing is that it doesn't have the gestures. I really want to go through with it, but can't imagine living without the gestures.

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

I wouldn't do it. The unibody construction is a lot better and it does not have a 8600 waiting to explode on you.

5. HockeyGuy macrumors member

In my opinion, you would be an idiot to do that trade. You have no idea how this guy treated his computer. Your current macbook is newer, has the unibody structure, etc. Thats just how I am... I like knowing that I have taken great care of my products and I don't have to worry about someone trying to scam me.

Keep your macbook!