Traded 8GB iPhone for 16 GB at AT&T after 14-day return period ended

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gymns411, Feb 6, 2008.

1. gymns411 macrumors newbie

I thought it was interesting that AT&T still let me trade out my 8 GB iPhone for a new 16GB one yesterday even though my 14-day return period expired a week ago.

At first they weren't going to let me do it but the guy was just like well AT&T's return policy is 30 days but Apple only wants us to do 14 days on the iPhone. So I spoke to the guy that sold me the iPhone and he said long as I come in today (yesterday)....that he'd swap it out.

I did have to pay a restocking fee...so I ended up paying the 10% and then $100 extra(so $145 total or something)....but it was worth it to me....now I don't really have to cut out half of my music and music videos....

(still enjoying the iPhone) :D

2. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Congrats. I personally was thinking about it but I hardly use the 8 gigs I have as it is. The only reason I would upgrade is if those apps w/the SDK require more space.

3. shiryu macrumors newbie

congrats indeed! my co-worker tried to do that yesterday with no luck

4. Marcjcd macrumors member

I purchased mine 18 days ago, have the receipt, and have been an AT&T customer for years and when I called and asked if they would honor the AT&T 30 day return policy provided I pay the restocking fee they said ABSOLUTELY NOT! Hell of a way to provide customer service AT&T!

I was going to wait to upgrade until version 2 is released but since it was so close to the 14 days I figured I would try and that my account is in good standing and I've been a member for so long I figured they would do it for me but they were totally rude about it.

5. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

How was your experience activating it in place of the 8GB?

6. kkiran macrumors newbie

You might want to trade it in an Apple store :) I had great experiences doing that and I paid no restocking fee!! http://windows-mobiles.com/?p=158

Hope that helps u :)

Kiran

7. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

You shouldn't have had a problem since you bought it in the last 10 days. The thread is for those who DIDN'T.

8. gymns411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well activating it was similar to when I got the 8GB three weeks ago, except I didn't chose the new customer option. The only thing is that I did have to "renew" my contract...but since I've only been with AT&T for about 18 days I was like whatever.

Renewing the contract didn't really matter, I was just happy to get the 16GB phone instead.

9. gymns411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you call the AT&T 800 number or did u call the store that you bought it from? With me I just called the store I bought it from and actually talked to the guy that sold it to me. At first I was talking to another store employee and he was like, "Let me look at your account and see who sold you the phone so I can ask them if they will trade it out for you." Maybe I just got lucky :)