Trading A 6 For A 6+ On Craigslist - How To Ensure Safety?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justinf77, Oct 4, 2014.

1. justinf77 macrumors 6502

I went from a 6+ to a 6, and am now considering going back to a 6+ after having spent some time with both phones. Someone contacted me on Craigslist who wants to do a trade and is willing to meet up at an Apple Store to inspect the devices and swap SIMs. Both of our phones are on ATT Next payment plans. When I spoke to an ATT rep today, he told me that we could just swap SIM cards and there would be no problem.

Ignoring my obvious issues with indecision, I would like some advice on how to make sure this goes smoothly. The main thing I'm concerned about is the typical CL scam where somebody sells a phone and then reports that phone as lost / stolen several days afterward. Is this also a potential danger when doing a trade like this? Any other issues I should be aware of? Thanks!

2. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Apple should be able to tell who the owner is. Will u be able to get apple care on the 6+?

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Make a video of the transaction on each others' iPhones. XD

4. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Bring a friend, meet at Apple store. Sign out of icloud. Log in to appstore, download a free app to be sure. Good luck.

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Who's idea was it to meet at an Apple store?
    Yours or his?
    If his, then that should at least be a good faith hint.

6. Delmar macrumors 6502

How will that work through AT&T since both phones are being purchased through the next program?

7. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

Meet and complete trans inside a carrier store

MEET AND COMPLETE TRANSACTION INSIDE A CARRIER STORE....any verifications needed to protect both parties can be completed right at the carrier's location/store

8. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

The person who has the 6+ and is exchanging for a 6 should ask for some cash, provided they're the same storage size. Otherwise at&t doesn't care as long as the device gets paid off eventually. You may not be able to trade it in on the Next plan.

9. justinf77 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was his idea to meet at the Apple Store. Haven't gotten any red flags from him so far.

When I spoke to the ATT rep he just told me that we would both continue to pay our monthly Next payments on our original phones. I'm giving him the difference in cash. I figure when it comes time for me to upgrade, I'll just pay off my Next plan and sell the 6+.

10. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

CONSIDER THIS: what happens to your iphone should the other party default on his NEXT payments and vice versa? Will the iPhone to be locked down

11. cypressc macrumors member

cypressc

I wouldn't do it. There is no upside.

Seriously, in two weeks, these phones will be pretty readily available. Every year - mad panic, shortages, followed by early October availability. So maybe this year it's mid-October for demand. Regardless, Apple is cranking out too many units per day in China for there to be shortages for weeks on end.

12. justinf77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I asked the ATT rep about this and he said that even if the guy defaults on his payments, the phone would continue to work, so that wouldn't be a risk. At least, this is what I was told.

----------

I was thinking about this, too. When the phones are readily available, I'd have the option to just pay off my Next financing, sell the 6, and buy a 6+ with a new Next plan. Still something I'm considering.

13. 617aircav Suspended

I would never do this trade. No matter what precautions you take, you could still be at the mercy of the other guys honesty.

14. bugelrex macrumors regular

The regular 6 is not really in any major shortage, why would a 6+ owner want to do this trade when the 6 is readily available (or a very short wait)...

Unless you are paying him $100 over cost?

Too many shady people (who do scams for a living), you'll never outsmart them. Risk/Reward is far too low, people have been killed for far less through craigslist.

Also, doesn't matter if you do this in a store, his friends can follow and jump you later...

15. aneftp macrumors 601

14 day return policy is over. That's why

Deadline for those who purchased on launch day in store was Thursday if we purchased through carrier financing program or full subsidy. If paid in full. Had until Friday fo return. It's clearly printed on my Apple sales receipt.

16. justinf77 thread starter macrumors 6502

What I would really like to do is go to ATT and exchange phones AND Next plans so there's no possibility of anything shady, but I called ATT and they said that couldn't be done.

17. justinf77 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, so I made my decision. I'm not going to do the trade. I just don't want to risk anything bad happening.

Instead, I'm going to purchase my iPhone 6 from ATT in full and then start up a new Next plan for an iPhone 6+. That way, I have time to evaluate BOTH phones for 2 weeks and decide which one I want to keep. The only problem with this plan is that I have to wait for a 6+, but that's no big deal.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

OP you should return yours or sell it outright and then order the phone you want from your carrier or Apple.

19. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Good choice. I pre ordered both. Received both on launch day. Used the 6 for 5 days. Been using the 6+ since. That's my keeper. Returned the 6 last week.

20. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I used to buy and sell iPhones on Craigslist quite a bit....over 2 years ago. I never had any problems. One thing I would use when buying if I was a little skeptical of a person would be to say(not true btw) that I was a police officer and could they meet me downtown at the police station. If I never heard from them again......well there you go.

Anyway, why would someone sell an iPhone on CL and then report it stolen or lost in the next few days. That doesn't make any sense to me. What's the benefit for the person doing this? They don't have the phone anymore.

21. 617aircav Suspended

The phone they are selling could have been stolen from someone else, they could sell it and file an insurance claim. It's rare, but can happen. I have purchased 100 + phones and this happened to me only once.

22. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

Only thing that would make me reluctant is that with these new stupid payment plans, if the original owner stops paying his bill they can blacklist and deactivate the iPhone.

23. SoloStyle macrumors regular

This is the new concern for everyone, if you're buying a used iPhone, how would you even know if it's on a payment plan or not? The seller could always lie, sell the phone, and then just stop making the payment plan payments. :(