Trading for an iPhone 4s, IMEI blocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iag48, Feb 2, 2012.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm trading my Blackberry Bold 9900 for an iPhone 4s and want to know if there is anyway to check the phone is not IMEI blocked. He says the phone is an ATT version; does ATT even block IMEI?

I do not have an ATT sim card to check as I am hoping to use it on Red Pocket in the coming weeks.

Also, we are meeting in the Apple store as I was hoping someone can help me verify that the phone is not blocked.

Thanks.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You cannot check. Put a SIM card in it and see if it works

3. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Damn. I'm pretty sure they won't put one of their sim cards in.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess that makes me feel a little more relaxed. Should there be anything else to look for? I'm going to compare it with my iPhone 4s but I would be pissed off to find out the phone has been repaired for something like water damage and have problems down the road.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Cant you still put the phones serial number in on apples site to check out its status ?

7. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Yes u can to see if it's under warranty or not.. Just search for self help apple in google. First on the list..

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Actually they do. If the iPhone was insured by att and it it's reported lost or stolen it will be blacklisted.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The answer is simple. Get the IMEI, call ATT, tell them what you are doing (buying a used phone) and ask them. THey should be able to help you.

10. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming Red Rocket is a carrier, for which you won't be able to use the iPhone on since there is no unlock for it yet. UNLESS it's factory unlocked.

11. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm on my way to meet him at the apple store. If I enter his serial number into the website it's going to tell me of his 4s is under warranty but does it tell me what carrier its for?
    It would suck to find out its a cdma phone.

12. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Why not grab an AT&T gophone sim to test it?

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

14. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your advice guys and girls.
    I met up with the guy and everything went well. His iPhone 4s is in mint condition and it has Apple Care +. I called ATT and had them run the IMEI number and it has not been reported stolen.

I went to Chinatown to buy a Red Pocket Mobile sim card but the card they gave me was a "Stargate" sim card but the email and paperwork showed Red Pocket. They explained to me that Stargate was bought by Red Pocket Mobile and that it should not be a problem.

However, the data is not working even after changing the Apn settings to Red Pocket. It seems to load a page but VERY slowly, I tried to run a speed test and it won't even get passed the ping part lol.

Any Ideas?

Thanks again.

15. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Was it on EDGE or 3G?

Go to the AppStore and get an app called SpeedTest

16. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

It shows 3G and I did run the Speed Test App but it doesn't even start up.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know that some of those prepaid services like repocket, H2O and others that run off AT&T's network get very slow and throttled data speeds.
    Not sure what the speeds are on regural monthly AT&T customers but dont expect to get anywhere near those on prepaid GSM carriers.
    Try a few different APN settings to see if that makes any difference and try another speedtest app if that one is not giving you any results.

18. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Applejuiced,
    I actually used h2o with my iPhone 4 and it was a horrible experience. Their service was non-existent in my apartment and their data speeds hardly ever broke 0.20 MBs (no matter what time of day).
    The reason I chose red pocket mobile was because I read on these forums that their speeds were much higher than h2o, and it is true. I finally got my data to work and have been running speed test around New York City. So far their speeds are around 2.5-3.0 MBs, that's much better than my brother's sprint data speeds of .25 at peak times and 2.40 from 2 am to 5 am.
    So far very happy with service, I just have to be careful not to go over 2gb.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, that's some pretty good speeds.
    How did you get it to work right and what apn settings did you use?
    So their unlimited service includes 2GB's of data and how much are you paying per month for service with them?

20. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm paying $60 flat for unlimited text, talk and 2gb of data. Not bad at all! I read that red pocket mobile is the only mvno that dont throttle their data to unusable speeds. 2-3mb at peak time is more than enough! I wish Sprint had 2-3 mb consistently all day.

I used the red pocket APN settings.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

22. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular