Trading in an iPhone 5 for a 5S? Possibly For Free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harvis, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Harvis, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Harvis macrumors newbie

As everybody knows, the iPhone 5S was released yesterday along with the iPhone 5C. Tim Cook basically stated in the Apple Event Keynote that the iPhone 5C is going to replace the iPhone 5 and that the 5 would no longer be in production. When I heard this an idea came to me, since my iPhone 5 Lock Button has been acting up and I have till November 30th to get a hardware service replacement, that maybe I could possibly get my 5 replaced with an 5S since the 5 will no longer be in production and the Apple stores will probably be clearing out their iPhone 5 stock to accommodate the 5S and 5C. The Apple stores in NJ are extremely tiny and always packed so maybe there won’t be any iPhone 5’s in stock when I go to the Apple store in November get my replacement? Any suggestions that’d possibly help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. Vctr macrumors regular

Doubtful. Even though they aren't manufacturing the iPhone 5 anymore, there will be tons of refurbished stock.

3. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Your phone will be replaced with a service replacement phone which they have plenty of

4. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Uh no. They will have iPhone 5 stock for years. Heck I've even seen them pull out a 3gs not long ago.

5. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I doubt it. They'll probably keep refurb units on hand for a good while. They won't just give a free upgrade. I've kind of tried it before, but no luck.

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Have you ever heard of refurbs? That's what you'll likely get.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll get an iPhone 5. People are still getting their 5 year old iPhone 3G and 3Gs replaced with the similar model. Even the iPhone 2G was being replaced with the 2G while it was in the supported status, it's now vintage and not applicable to be replaced or serviced.

8. Bilalo macrumors 6502

They would probably give you a 5c not a 5s then the 5c is the same specs and price as your 5 at this time.

9. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

They'll still have plenty in stock. You think all those millions of iPhone 5's they produced are just gonna get up and walk away with no trace? They are probably required to keep components / replacements for 3 years, which is the length of AppleCare.

10. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Nope, Apple will have plenty of all previous models to service it's customers.

In fact, MR ran an article a few months back where Apple replace an original iphone. I forget the reason behind it. I'm too lazy right now to look up the article.

This happens sometimes with laptops because they take up so much space they normally don't keep old inventory/refurbs on the shelf. Not common with iPhones.

11. Bilalo macrumors 6502

My friends 4 was replaced with 4s so ;)

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I like how we have 10 posts with the same answer...people feeling the need to answer a question that's already been answered. ;)

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's in the UK and government laws pertaining to replacements are different there than in the US where the OP is.

14. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Very stupid idea. I'm sorry for not contributing more, but this is absurd. :(

15. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Oh trust me they will have a replacement for you..

I once walked in with a old Ipod and walked right out with the same old model in a refurbished condition.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Up until earlier this year you could bring in an original iPhone and get an original iPhone as a replacement. You will get a 5 as a replacement for a 5, not a 5S.

17. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Reading the title I am curious if he just wanted tons of people to read this or is this person really out of the loop here lol

18. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Every time a new phone comes out, some ******* comes on here/any other forum spouting off about how he wants to get his "pesky problematic" iphone replaced with a newer model and not have to pay for it, as if he's somehow special and shouldn't have to buy the things he wants like everyone else does.

Tip for you OP:

YOU WANT AN UPGRADE? BUY IT. STOP LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT!

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!! HAHA!!!

Dream on!

20. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You hit it right on the head powerstrokin. Every new release and it never fails. This will not be the only thread on someone wanting to do same, I guarantee it.