Trading in Black for White?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blorzoga, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

After watching MJ from iFixit.com do a scratch test on a black ip5, my mind was made up to trade my black for a white. I know i could put a case on it, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a thin light phone. I went this morning and made the swap and I'm glad I did. Anyone else considering this?

2. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I have the black and also a replacement white on the way. However what I thought was a scuff on the band rubbed off. So now I have a perfect black one again.

I'm gonna have to compare the two side by side, and I know it makes sense to switch to the white, however since getting the black on Friday I have fallen in love with it.

I've got this one chance to make the right descision! Aarrgghhh!

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

All these people swapping out phones just means it will be even longer before some of us get our orders filled.

4. wookiee2cu macrumors member

I was reading an article yesterday (crunch gear, tech gear or something like that) and they said they also have reports of white iphones showing up with chips and getting scratched easily so you're really no better off although they might not be as noticable with the white but they will still be there.

5. nervation11 macrumors newbie

Where did you guys originally get your phone? I preordered mine from Verizon. Am I able to swap for a white one?

6. CDutch macrumors regular

I think that's really what it comes down to. The black phone will show all the imperfections, similar to a black car.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I swapped mine - but it was only after I saw both in person and liked the white one so much more.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

I would never swap for a white one. My black one is fine. If you got a bad egg just go to an apple store and tell them you want to replace it.

I can't imagine using the white one with an outdated application that has the black bars. I almost don't even notice the black bars on my black iPhone 5

9. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Go to an Apple store if you can. They have plenty if stock.

10. tophermd macrumors member

tophermd

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I want to swap black for white in store. I bought from Apple online and took delivery on 9/21. Just really feel like I should've gotten the white.

To all of those that swapped successfully: Did you have to do anything special or did you just take the phone, box and original contents (cables etc.) in with the receipt and just exchange it?

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can offer!

11. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Can't cancel the pre-order. We're stuck with it.

12. mateo124 macrumors regular

White looks like ***. I'd personally rather have all the finish scratch off the black before I considered getting the white one

13. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Have a black one, would never trade in the beauty that the black is. Not to mention how sleek it looks in comparison to the white and the way the screen fades in to the bezel.

To each his own though.

14. iHawaii macrumors member

So you're anti-white phone, not pro black phone? Fascinating.

15. taedouni macrumors 65816

I have had my iPhone 5 since release day and I love it. I think the black version is hands down the best version. If you claim to be OCD and are afraid to scratch up your black iPhone, then I have news for you. You are not OCD.If you were "OCD", then you would be more careful than the "common" person.

16. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Why don't they do the scratch test for the white 5:confused:

So we can get a clear comparison instead of seeing the black getting scratched up all the time:rolleyes:

17. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Brought the box and accessories. No receipt needed. They can look it up. I think they prefer if you've already activated the phone. They just switch the phone and activate it for you. No questions asked.

----------

Why are you so against white? The back and edge are the same material as the air and Mbps.

18. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Does my current iPhone have to have any type of damage in order to swap to a white version? Or do I simply tell them that I've changed my mind on color and the issues with the black version have swayed my opinion.

19. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

They both scratch, it's just that the scratches are more noticeable on black.

----------

You don't even have to give them a reason, just tell them you want to return the black and replace with the white. You have 30 days. The Apple employees couldn't care less why you're exchanging.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

my black phone is still pretty flawless and i love the look of it but what i forgot about coming from a white 4s is the LINT! its driving me insane. im constantly wiping the lint off the screen.

21. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

The black bar actually isn't any more noticeable on the white then the black. I compared mine with my friends and it really isn't an issue.

22. thaghost macrumors 6502

I've been contemplating on trading my white one in for a black...my wife has a black one and it is indeed a sexy looking phone lol