Trading in Honda Civic for similarly priced car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by upsguy27, Sep 13, 2011.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, so, I'm 17, and back in February my parents and I were looking for a new car for me. I picked out a lot, but my dad was set on a Civic despite my telling him there are nicer models for the same price... but still, I was happy to get any car.

So, we go to a dealer and they mention they have a 2008 Civic sedan for $15,000... okay, good price, but I was still against it but my dad just "wanted to get the search over with". So we start making a deal and then the dealer says, oh, whoops, the car is actually $17,500. My dad just wanting to not deal with this anymore, agrees instead of walking away from a ridiculously high price. After taxes and a warranty... the total came to $20,000!

Now, I was looking then and I still am now, there are plenty of muuuch nicer and more fuel-efficient cars for an equal or cheaper price, even taking into consideration taxes and a full warranty. My question is... is it worth it to trade this car in and get another, more cost effective car? I know I would lose money on it, but even then I would still be switching to something much more practical. On top of that, this car has had so many issues with the exterior and brakes considering the price paid... and the problems persist.

As you can tell, I'm pretty much set on wanting to do this, but is it as practical as I think it is?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did you pay for the car, or did your dad? If he did, switching the car out is ungrateful to say the least.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You keep mentioning cost-efficient. You currently have a Honda Civic and want to get rid of it for something else. Those two ideas don't match up. There will be NOTHING more cost-efficient than a Honda Civic. They are about the most reliable, fuel-efficient vehicles you can find. I would keep the Civic and be grateful of the car you have.

You're 17, or a couple years older now, so I'm sure you want a sporty, non-sedany car, but just live with what you have. You will be appreciative of that in the future, I promise.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

5. aaronchow macrumors regular

I can get 28 mpg with my '10 Civic LX. Unless you get a hybrid (or the Fit), there aren't many cars in that range that can beat its fuel efficiency :)

6. ann713, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

ann713 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't get any more cost efficient than a Civic. In regards to the exterior and brakes issue, isn't that covered by some type of warranty by the dealer? Be happy that you have a car, and that your parents purchased it for you. In a couple of years when you're done with school with job, you can choose your ideal car. (Not after paying those student loans of course, heh!)

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, in regards to the parents paying for it thing... I should've mentioned in my first post that I would only do this if I actually did, after I've finished buying the car from them. I pay them monthly, so I can slowly buy it to truly be under my ownership.

8. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

First of all what kind of car were you looking to get..

I have a Honda Civic... 09 EX.. Im pretty sure you over paid.. was it brand new?

anyway keep it, your parents are doing you a solid by using there credit to finance a car for you.. at 17 thats a damn nice car to be driving around.

9. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Nope, wasn't brand new, had 25,000 miles on it.

Oh, no, believe me, I'm more than grateful to even have a car, I'm just concerned that I didn't get the best car for the price paid for it... and if I were to do something about it, it would only be after I finish buying the car from my parents.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have a 2009 Civic I bought new and it only has 5800 miles on it.

Very reliable car.

Keep yours. The resell value is good.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

28mpg? I've observed 33mpg in my car with more than twice the engine displacement of your civic. If that wasn't a typo, you're doing something wrong. :p

As for trading the civic: it will be extremely reliable and efficient, I'd just stick with it for now and trade up once you've put some miles on it. At 20,000 used, however, you may have been ripped off, unless it's really loaded.

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

It's a 3 year old car, yes it's going have brake issues, like changing the brake pads, it's a wear and tear issue.

I don't think we get what you are asking. Do you want a fast or luxury car? I don't think there are any cars more "practical" than a Civic. Did you pay too much for the Civic, probably, but is it worth it to trade it in for another "practical" car? Probably not.

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Gagh! Talk about being gouged. I paid less than that for a brand new 2011 Civic.:eek::eek::eek:

Anyhow, back on topic... Among small, economical cars the Civic is generally considered the pick of the litter. It's a but under powered for my taste (a torqueless wonder). I'm averaging 35mpg, combined, that's with the 100+ degree weather here and the 10% ethanol garbage we have to use. The wife somehow manages only 28mpg in my Civic. The woman must v-tec (in Honda fanboy lingo) everywhere.:rolleyes:

Keep the Civic. And next time, walk out on a bad deal. Seriously. I've did that several times. We agreed on a price, they changed it on the invoice. I walked. Luckily for me there are a dozen dealership within spitting distance of me.

14. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Haha, your dad got hosed. No, there is nothing you can do about it.

Take your free car and don't bother rubbing it in for your dad that he just overpaid by more than 25%. No good will come from that.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, he got hosed, via Dad.

The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. He is just like his Dad, and can't be bothered with 'stuff'. But his Dad knew all the money would come back, so why sweat over any car purchase??

Perhaps our young friend has learned something from this? ;)

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you overpaid for the car initially, you are going to take a really big hit when you trade it in. You're going to be out of pocket for the depreciation and the initial extra expense. That is going to make it very difficult to find another car and justify it as a cost saving. Even with that being the case, you are going to want a new car in a few years (I assume it will take you a while to pay off). You are best waiting to see what's new and how the second hard market is looking then.

17. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I get 32 mpg in my ' 05 Cobalt in the city.

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Keep your Honda. The used car market is crap right now, for buyers anyway. I've been to look at over a dozen cars this past week, half of them have sold before I got there, even ones in not the greatest of conditions.

19. i4Collin macrumors regular

I'd keep the Civic...even though you payed too much, you'd lose more if you tried to sell it now. As for the problems, Honda's usually are very reliable. (I've owned three, plus an Acura) If it's still under warranty try to get them fixed, and next time have a mechanic check the car before you buy.