Trading iPhone on eBay, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by children, Oct 13, 2012.

1. children macrumors regular

hi, ive listed my iphone 4s on ebay, and someone wants a trade instead:
    She wants $430, which is ok for me.

but should I be worried she is a scam?

here are the messages:

seller:
    Hi there, saw your post about your iphone 4s for sale. would you be keen to do a swap + cash for a brand new sealed iphone 5 white 16gb?? I'm located in brisbane as well. let me know!

me:
    How much cash?
    Also for what reason would you want to swap from an iPhone 5 to a 4s?
    Thanks

seller:
    Because i don't need it at the moment. i just need a faster phone than one tt i have now. I'll be getting the 5 when i get back home next year. =)
    It's an australian unlocked set so no worries=)

was looking at $450 =) but let me know your offer anyway! =))

me:
    Hi, before any negotiation, can I get an IMEI number? It should be located on the box.
    Thanks

seller:
    0133XXXXXXXXXX1
    [the IMEI has no issues]

me:
    I can offer you $400,
    Also can I ask where you got the phone (on plan, or from apple store etc) and a photo or two (preferably with the IMEI)
    I'm currently on the Gold Coast, but am going to Brisbane on Tuesday :)

seller:
    I got it with a contract with vodafone :) but its been unlocked according to the salesman, if there are any probs i can go get it unlocked with you if need be =) because its still sealed at the moment =)

Okay ive attached 2 pics, i attempted to take one of the imei no but my current phones do not have focus function =(

Well, what about $425? =) sorry, just a student needing some cash=( are you selling the iphone 5 if we do deal? otherwise i can pass you a free screen protector so you save about 15-20bucks? essentially paying about $400.

What time will you be in brisbane on tues? =) i will be done with school only at 6! or i could meet you in the earlier part of the morning if you can make it.

-----------------------------------------

Are there any red flags?
    ive bought and sold a fair bit on ebay, but this is the first time someone offered a trade..
    Im planning on giving this phone to my girlfriend, so I dont want any issues :)

2. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

I'm not from Australia but i saw a link that allows you to check for lost/stolen mobile phone, did you check that?

3. Recon73 macrumors newbie

4. darster Suspended

Yea red flags. She could sell it in 1 hour for $600.

5. children thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, its clean,

I also think its too good to be true.. guess i wasnt the only one :eek:

6. DemonBob macrumors member

Have her meet you at the carrier store, do the swap & setup there to have the carriers employees there to verify the phone.

7. children thread starter macrumors regular

hi, we decided to do that.
    by any chance, would he/she be able to block the phone after the trade? (for whatever reason)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt risk it.
    Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
    Someone on ebay wants you to cancel your auction and meet them in person to trade it for an i5.
    Sure:D