Trading iPhone to Amazon. Okay to leave passcode on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thrill5one6, Sep 19, 2012.

1. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

I'm trading in my iPhone to Amazon. Is it okay to leave my security passcode on? I am assuming they will restore the device on their own? I've deleted my personal data but do not have the time to restore and wipe data from settings

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Why would you want to leave it on? You say you don't have the time to restore and wipe the data, yet you have the time to post your question here and wait for a reply.

Perhaps it's stolen?

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you have no time to restore it? it takes like 5-10 min to set up as new

4. thrill5one6 thread starter macrumors regular

thrill5one6

Phone is jail broken, I have to restore it before wiping all the data but i do not have itunes at work to restore.
    Also, Amazon said I have to ship by Sept 19th (today)

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Why not just take it off? :confused:
    If your data's off it, then there's nothing to worry about.

You could press erase and then chuck it in an envelope, should be completed by the time Amazon get it :p

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

That's a different story. An iPhone with a passcode they may accept. An iPhone that's jailbroken they most likely will not.

7. thrill5one6 thread starter macrumors regular

thrill5one6

Phone is jail broken, I have to restore it before wiping all the data but i do not have itunes at work to restore.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

I don't get it. You had 7 days to think about this.

Why wait till last day to figure this out? By day 5 u should already have a box with label all printed and ready to go

9. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

10. bogatyr macrumors 65816

No, another reason to plan in advance. OP could have wiped out the phone anytime in the last 7 days. He should have known that he wouldn't have the ability to do it at the last minute.

11. appswipe macrumors 6502

What takes longer, to post a thread or to go to password settings and remove it?

This is some seriously odd laziness. IF you give these Amazon trade in people any unnecessary issues then they could easily either drop the price on you by stating it is in a "lesser" condition, or they could simply send it back and by the time you receive it then trade in value has dropped another 20%. And all for what? because the OP doesn't want to take off the password? There's definitely something fishy here.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

oh...so you will leave all your data on it when you send it off to Amazon? Why would you do that?

13. MrSpanks macrumors member

Restore the iphone from the device? unless you can't do that while jailbroken.

14. thrill5one6 thread starter macrumors regular

thrill5one6

poor planning by me. I thought I would be able to just tap "erase all data" in settings but after doing so my phone was just a black screen. I did some research and the "erase all data" option doesn't work on a jailbroken device.

The phone has shipped in "like new" condition (original box, charger, headphones) for which they quoted me $430.

I've traded in my old iPad to them successfully in the past.

thanks for all the responses.

It might be sent back and I will be requoted a lower offer or I will sell it on eBay/at GameStop

Lets see what happens...

15. wysiwyg1972 macrumors member

Why don't you enter the wrong password 10x, did you enable that option to wipe it?

16. Resist macrumors 68030

How were you getting $430 for it? What version iPhone?

17. thrill5one6 thread starter macrumors regular

thrill5one6

They Quoted me $455 for 32GB iPhone4s on the 10th. On the 12th the price dropped to $430 (I selected this and they give you 7 days to ship it). Now I believe they are offering less than $400 for a white 32GB iPhone 4s in "Like New" condition.

18. nsense macrumors member

update your jailbroken phone to iOS6. that will take care of it.