Trading MacBook Pro for iMac (27”) and iPad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JonathanIsZen, Feb 1, 2012.

1. JonathanIsZen macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone!
    I’ve been a MacRumors reader for several years, but this is my first forum post. I’ve tried Yahoo! Answers and a few other forums, but I rarely get responses, and people aren’t nearly as knowledgable as you guys.

Anyway, I’m currently a student–English major, although I was a Graphic/Web Design major, which is how I justified my MacBook Pro (I would have gotten it either way. Haha.)

Anyway, I’ve found that I’m really not utilizing the portability of the MacBook Pro. None of my professors allow us to bring computers to class, so it’s left my desk about 10 times since I’ve had it. It was the higher end 15” model from early 2011 (only difference between it and the current one is the video card.)

I’ve found somebody willing to pay me $1900 for the MacBook. If I went through with this, I’d use the money (and a bit of my tax return) to get an iMac and the iPad 3 (whenever it comes out.) This way, I’d have the power and screen size of the desktop and the portability of the iPad whenever I needed it.

A couple of questions:
    1. Should I get the 21.5” or 27”? (I do plan on waiting for the new iMac, but since we don’t know the specs, we’ll just assume that they don’t change.) I do a little photo and video editing but nothing too serious. I know I’d prefer the 27” for the screen size and high resolution, but will the performance boost be worth it? I’d probably be playing some StarCraft II, Sims 3, Portal 2, and Saints Row III, and it would be cool to have those on the “High/Ultra” graphics settings.
    2. If I got the 21”, I’m sure I’d go with the higher end one, but if I got the 27”, should I go with the lower or higher end?

Thanks so much!!

2. Blomkvist macrumors member

Blomkvist

I think this combo (iMac with iPad) is brilliant, especially for a university student.

My recommendation would be to definitely wait for iPad 3, IMHO it's new specs will signifcantly improve performance. Also, my advice is to get the largest HD on that iPad, as it fills up quick.

For the iMac, I would go the refurbished route and opt for the big screen and best video card you can manage. Do aftermarket RAM (Crucial is excellent) for any upgrade there. I don't think the refresh will be that significant for the typical user (myself included), and you can really maximize bang for your buck going with a refurb. Same warranty, and you can get Applecare as well.

3. JonathanIsZen thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, yes, I’ll definitely go the refurbished route. Or I’ll order it off Amazon, since I won’t have tax that way. Whichever turns out to be cheaper.
    Thanks!

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I just did this myself, waiting for both the iPad3 and new iMac as I just use my work Lenovo T420s and iPhone for the time being.

I would definitely buy refurb though.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

... Or you could just buy an external monitor.

You probably don't want to hear this, but the iPad 3 is not a computer, you cannot carry your work on the go with you ... But you already know that.

So if all you do on the go is listen to music, look at pictures, and stream movies, then an iPad might be ideal for you.

Personally though, I like to take my computer to the library with me, but then again I was an Engineering student. You might not need to.

6. JonathanIsZen thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, I get what the iPad can and cannot do. I'd get Pages, obviously, because about the only thing I would need to be able to access is papers that I've written. Other than that, it would just be to browse the internet (basic stuff), stream Netflix, email, etc. iPad stuff. :D
    (WiFi is common enough that my iWork stuff would be accessible on the off chance that I need it.)