Trading MBP 2.2Ghz for G5 2.3 Ghz dual core; bad idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nero, Nov 4, 2007.

1. nero macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I've decided to sell my MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz since I hardly ever use it out of the house.
    However, now I'm torn between what to buy as a replacement. I'm not a big fan of the iMac (I especially don't like the screen), but it sure has quite some bang for the buck.
    If money wasn't an issue, I would buy a mac pro, but unfortunaly it's over my budget.
    I found a second hand Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz dual core, 4 gig ram, total of 1 TB HD space, including a 23" ACD for € 1650. Not a bad deal if you ask me, but how does it compare against a 20" iMac 2.4 ghz? Including edu-discount I can get that machine for about € 1350.

What would you do? Buy the G5, get a nice Apple Cinema Display but "downgrade" to powerpc, or go for the iMac 2.4 Ghz and take the inferior screen (compared to the ACD) for granted?

I mostly use my Mac for video- and image-editing (non-professional) so screen quality is important to me. The G5 seems a great deal, but I have no experience with powerpc processors and I'm afraid that within a year, all new software will require intel processors.

2. Xil3 macrumors regular

This doesn't seem like a hard decision... obviously go for the new one. I wouldn't go for the G5 purely because it's not intel based...

3. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Have you thought about just getting an ACD, keyboard, mouse, memory external HD for your MacBookPro (assuming you've not sold it already)?

SL

4. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

You could also get the new iMac and an external display if you're worried about the glossy screen. Then, just turn screen spanning on and use the iMac as the secondary monitor.

5. Jdot macrumors member

Seriously buy a separate display, keyboard, and mouse. The dual core g5 will not be able to compare whatsoever to the speed of your macbook pro.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Agreed, if you don't use the laptop outside of the house more than once a month, get a new iMac. They are awesome -- really. Get the 24"!!

Or, if you occasionally take it out, get an external display, keyboard and mouse. Tuck the MBP away somewhere and it will "feel" like using a desktop.

Don't go back to PPC.

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Either mice, display, and keyboard for your MBP, or the iMac

8. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

10. schreck macrumors regular

I'd definitely either keep the MBP and get an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor OR 24 inch iMac (higher quality screen, can be had for about the same price as your G5). 4GB aftermarket ram and you'll have a powerful machine.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you don't want to go back to PPC from intel. if you don't like the glossy screen on the iMacs get a refurbished one from the previous gen.

12. f1 macrumors 6502

I'm going to guess that five years from now PowerPCs will almost be obsolete. I mean Leopard needs at least a G4 now and features like iChat backdrops won't even work on PPC. And as Intel Processors become more popular, software will start to transition to Intel only pretty soon, so stick wit ur MBP or get urself a new intel mac perhaps a used mac pro??

13. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Get a loaded up 24 inch, (2.33, 7600 GT, 3gb RAM) of the previous generation. You'll break even, probably more than break even. You'll gain some screen real estate, and you will most definitely not notice the speed decrease.

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Don't get the G5. The MBP and iMac is better in every respect (they can both take 4GB RAM), way better processors etc. If you don't want a notebook, and don't like the new iMac's screen, find a last gen. white iMac or get an external display:)

15. msevild macrumors regular

Just so you know Leopard is the last OS X operating system that will run on the Power PC architecture. Once the next one comes out, oh two years from now, you will be out of luck. Intel based Mac's only :-(. And as stated before the new Intel processors in the current generation computers are far beyond what they put in the G4 or G5 desktops. My advice, buy an iMac, it most likely has the same specs as your MBP 2.2 and you might be able to sell your MBP and buy the new iMac without spending much out of your pocket at all. Good luck on your decision :)