Trading my PC in for a mac today (best Buy) Need help on which Mac to get.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lillie, Jan 25, 2009.

1. lillie macrumors newbie

First of all! The reason Im doing this at best buy is because I only have credit at best buy. From my understanding all resellers sell for the same price anyway amirite?

Here are the Macs that are currently available at BB:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...abComputerSP&sp=+brand+skuid&usc=abcat0500000

With that said, I am a web design student. I got a PC from best buy the other day and Im really really not happy with it. These are the quick specs for the computer that I am returning. (if its relevant :confused: )

AMD Turion™ X2 RM-72 dual-core mobile processor; 4GB DDR2 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; LightScribe labeling; 17" widescreen; 320GB hard drive; built-in webcam; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1

I was really not happy with the performance. I dont what whut other things I should tell you I guess I really just want to know

Which Mac would you suggest for me?

2. lillie thread starter macrumors newbie

And I guess by student Im suggesting that I dont have much to spend.

I HAVE to get the protection plan (accidental) Which I think is 400$

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

simple. get the one you like best! And you can afford. If you want straight up power, get a macbook pro. For everything else and extra portability for carrying around campus, get a macbook ;)

5. lillie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes Best Buy does. I have to get the accidental because I break EVERYTHING! D:

Well I was looking at models MB470LL/A and MB467LL/A

Is 2 inches really worth 400 dollars?!

6. kumbaya macrumors regular

i would say, go and see the two models and then decide.

only you can know if you can live with 2" less real estate in terms of the display

the current macbook and macbook pro are very close in terms of features unless you need a powerful graphics card or firewire

either way, you're getting a great computer!

enjoy

:):apple:

7. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

If you're going to be doing any kind of professional design work I would suggest the Macbook Pro, especially since the graphics card is supposed to take some of the load off of the processor when Snow Leopard comes out. Plus, you'll be future proofing yourself down the road should you ever get into a program that really needs some horsepower in the graphics department. Lastly, the extra real estate is really nice to have without being too overbearing (my personal thoughts on 17" laptops...).

PS: Just to double check: Remember if you already have design programs for the PC, the serial numbers will NOT transfer to the mac. You'll have to buy all new software.

8. MugsyMD macrumors newbie

Dell Laptop to Macbook Pro

I have been a holdout from PC to Mac for over a decade - infact I got my first PC back in 1989, and I have bought an untold number of dell desktops and laptops. Well, come this past October, I bought my first Mac, a Macbook Pro - oh am I HAPPY - I have found I can do everything on the Mac and then some with only one exception, hence I have Parallels installed for my work citrix account and WOW all works wonderfully and EXTREMELY FAST. Get the best the best for the money you can spend - don't skimp! I should have gotten a Mac a long time ago - and no, I don't work for Apple.

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, it depends.

That $400 gets you:

- 2" of extra screen real estate that looks BETTER. The screen has a much better viewing angle and much deeper blacks than the MacBook. By no means is the MacBook's screen bad(I have one and use it everyday), but the MBP's screen is better.

- A dedicated graphics chip, the 9600. Snow Leopard is expected to use the graphics card alongside with the processor, so this may become a performance boost in the future, but how much of a boost is to be determined.

- Firewire. If you need FW, there is NO option on the MB. At all.

If you don't need the 2"(+ a better display), and you don't play games, and you don't use FW, then the MB 2.4 will be the best choice for you.

10. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

11. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It could be argued that since he's buying it on credit, he can't really afford it.

Just relaying my experience from charging stuff when I was in college. I'm still paying the price for that mistake (figuratively and literally).

13. RobZ1 macrumors newbie

Bestbuy

Well if you have a BestBuy card you can put it on the 18 months no intrest..... so the $400 can be spread out...

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd buy the white macbook. Web design doesn't need a color accurate display or LED backlit. Heck, I am a web designer myself, so I can assist in these matters. Particularly, I would wait until BB has the new white macbooks with the 9400M nVidia chipset just to get extra bang for the buck.

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Holy crap, the MBP on that page still has Tiger!

And trust me, they're most likely to have way more than that.
    You might want to wait a few days to see if they get the upgraded white MacBook in; twice the ram and dedicated NVIDIA graphics.

16. lillie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I would use it to play games too. Online and offline. So I was pretty happy about the processor speed and stuff too.