Traffic Deaths Jump 8% In 2015 To Most Since 2008

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wonder how many of those deaths were related to using their phone while driving.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/07/01/us-roadway-traffic-deaths-nhtsa/86598502/

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think its a combination of things.

Not least of which is the fact that gas prices dropped significantly over that period. Meaning people drove more. And more driving tends to equate to more crashes, injuries, and deaths.

Additionally, maximum Interstate highway speeds have increased, fairly significantly. In most places the old 55 mph Double Nickel is far-off memory. 70 mph is the posted limit on many stretches of rural freeway, and some places higher.

And, yes - distracted driving thanks to mobile phones and (most worrisome) texting is a contributing factor in an increasing number of crashes.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

4. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Around the same amount annually as guns then, ironic lol.

6. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

We're assuming over half those people didn't kill themselves with their cars.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

You can exclude drink drive by from the list then if you like.

8. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

No, I just exclude people who kill themselves with a firearm from gun death totals, they'd have just found another way of offing themselves. Doesn't count if you blow your own head off.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

A lot of people fail at suicide by pills or hanging and recover with regret.

People who commit suicide by putting a gun to their heads are not insignificant nor are they exclusive from the figures. They are still deaths caused by firearm. You can't say those who kill themselves drink driving or by dangerous driving can't be included in traffic death stats. No amount of responsible drivers cancel out those who are not so fortunate.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    How the hell did this thread turn to a gun argument so quickly?

Oh. That's right. Cars. Some how the two are intrinsically connected.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Post number 4, the insinuation was there. Then again with the comparison being so common on here of late I think the thread was written knowing it was going to compare the two.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's getting the point where I'm starting to think that all the pro-gun people are secretly anti-car.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think it's frustration that there aren't any cars with hidden machine-guns, James Bond-style. As to the OP, I can only speak locally (here in the Pacific Northwest), but drivers here are awful. I think they just hand out Licenses. I've been here ten years, and it's getting worse. File under anecdotal...

14. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, maybe you should think again. No where in the OP was there any mention or inference to guns.

15. yaxomoxay, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I hate sensational statistics with all my heart.

From the very same article:

[​IMG]

1900 to today:
    [​IMG]

And taking into accounts population growth:

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2016 ---
    Let's compare the "pre-distracted" driver era:
    1990:
    44,599 deaths
    US Population: 249,464,396

Getting into the "distracted driver" era:

1995:
    41,817 deaths
    US Population: 262,803,276

And iPhone release + 1 year:

37,423 deaths
    US Population: 303,824,640

And now
    2015:
    35200 deaths
    US Population: not sure, but 318M in 2014

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I think it's worse where I live. There's a strip of highway here that's nothing but an accident prone deathzone of destruction, numbering at least 2 good fender benders a day. What's funny is that the city installed cameras up and down the road with the hopes that it'd combat reckless driving, but all that did was end up making it worse.

And, you know, I'm actually surprised no one's tried installing machine guns on their cars yet. If they were to hide them behind some pop up paneling, I bet a CCW permit would cover them...

17. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

just watching in a crosswalk when you have the light is dangerous. one cross it takes several minutes to get the light and still cars will turn right into you even while your standing across from them for 5 minutes. at night is 10 times worse I have a very bright led flashlight I wave around while waiting and shine in their eyes if they start to go and even then they may not stop. even the strobe thats epilepsy inducing they may not want to stop. I wish I had a paintball gun to plaster them as they go by it would be fun.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Here, people are polite to the point of idiocy. Think four-way stop. Everyone defers to each other, then all go at the same time.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I will happily put it down to the coincidence of how often traffic deaths have popped up in gun threads lately then. The stats are extraordinarily high though. Perhaps a higher age for driving should be considered? It's 18 in the uk and I've always thought it should be 21 .

20. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You can't drive until you are 18 in the UK?

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I think that in all of Europe you can't drive until you're 18.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

In the UK it's 17, I passed when I was 18 and nearly killed myself the day after.

23. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The automobile in-general is one of the most dangerous forms of transport, even when taking into account for the fact that there are simply so many cars on the road(deaths per mile, for example); as well as being the most expensive. I hate driving and avoid when possible, but living in a suburb 50 miles from Los Angeles means I need a car around.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What stats for gun deaths are you using? The majority are suicides and lawful use of force homicides.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I wish everyone was required to ride a scooter or motorcycle for 2 years before they are allow to drive a car. Then maybe they would respect the road a little more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.