Traffic Stop Nightmare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 6, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And the hospital sent him the bill.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3209305.shtml#.Unj4uZR4Zqc

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

That whole incident sounds like a load of crap.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Jokes aside, that story is horrifying.

If the police had a reasonable suspicion the guy had a thermonuclear bomb up his rear end, it would hardly come close to justifying the invasion of the plaintiffs privacy, person, and dignity. I think this case proves everything you ever want to know about the definition of "unreasonable" in "unreasonable search and seizure."

I hope the police department, the guilty cops, and the doctor and medical center get slapped with a judgement in the tens of millions. And have to pay it.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Something something penetration.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya this story does deeply impact the victims rights.

You would think that after the 10th test that the man was not hiding anything.

7. zioxide, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If this story is true, every single doctor and cop who was involved in this should do 20+ years in prison just like any other rapist, and after parole be added to the sex offender registry.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds good to me.

9. Mousse, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Okay, I ain't making a pit stop in the People Republic of Deming for my next road trip through New Mexico.

Butt clenching is enough probable cause to get a search warrant? Really? Just when you thought you've heard it all, seen it all...:rolleyes:

He was probably trying to keep a fart from escaping, because he heard a West Virgina man got arrested for farting in front of a cop.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'd add the judge that signed that warrant to the list. That didn't sound like probably cause to me.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm willing to bet literally everything I own that he will lawyer up soon enough. If he hasn't already.

13. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

What is the problem?!?
    The police followed protocol, they got a warrant from a judge for the cavity search. I guess if you are going to get a full body cavity search it is better to have a doctor do it at a hospital then the local PD. Getting the bill from the hospital is pretty messed up.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I watched the entire video on it. If everything was reported accurately, they couldn't have followed protocol. According to the reporting, the first hospital refused to perform the requested procedures. I'm not whether it's even legal for them to perform some of those if the person refuses, but it's mentioned in the video that the hospital that performed the testing is outside of the jurisdiction of the issued warrant. It was in another county. As for the hospital, they have to bill someone, but I wonder how that will go. He is being billed for what is likely several thousand dollars worth of testing. The video claimed that the officers ordered a colonoscopy as the final test. There have been similar cases posted on here where officers didn't go by protocol, even with their own cameras running.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Let me get this straight. You think giving guns to the blind is necessary to protect your freedoms but that this is AOK?

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, as long as the law is followed.

However I guess we will find out when this case is over.
    My guess is this will be settled out of court with large sums of money and no admittance of guilt.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I can imagine the response Officer Ben Dover is getting from his fellow officers.

Likely has had his locker filled with some new toys since this has hit the news.

19. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I was going to post this yesterday but didn't have the time. Two things.....

1) What happened to this man is rape.

2) We are living in a police state where those in authority do what ever they want and get away with it.

----------

The Young Turks's take on this story.

20. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

How is this Rape?
    There wasn't anything even remotely sexual about it. If you want to walk this path that means you are going to have to charge a doctor and/or nurse with rape and the police as an accessory. Not to mention setting legal precedents for every cavity search as a possible sexual assault/rape.

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Been to Deming? Not a particularly pleasant place. 30 miles from the border, which is the one place the US has been invaded by a foreign army, the whole area is crawling with skittish Border Patrol.

Obviously not any excuse for the cops to be (ahem) excretory orifices, but one should at least understand why they go off.

22. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What is the problem? Are you ****ing serious?

Why am I not surprised that you think rape is about sex.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Agree with iMike - this is rape.

People standing around in uniforms or doctor's robes doesn't change that in my view.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So I guess you won't have a problem with it if it ever happens to you during a routine traffic stop?

25. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would like an explanation of "he clinched his buttocks" . :rolleyes: Seems a little to "out there". :eek: