"Trail of Tears" Banners Spark Outrage During Native American Month

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 22, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In two other cases of stupid, we turn our attention back to the deep South, where a two high schools display their ignorance of the history of their country and their local area in the name of sports.

First, we have McAdory High School in McAlla, Alabama, just outside of Birmingham. The school's cheerleading team decided to put together a banner for their football team to run through for their playoff match against the Pinson Valley Indians. I'll let the story continue here:

http://www.indianz.com/News/2013/011815.asp
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-of-tears-banner-at-high-school-football-game
    http://nativenewsonline.net/current...rs-sign-brings-discipline-cheerleading-squad/

Next, we shift to Dyersburg, Tennessee, where the Dyersburg Trojans were playing the Jackson Northside Indians. I'll let the story pick up here:

http://www.indianz.com/News/2013/011853.asp
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...gh-school-football-team-promoting-trail-tears

Funnily enough, four of the five tribes (Chickasaw, Cherokee, Choctaw, and Creek) forced onto the Trail of Tears, came from present-day Alabama and Tennessee.

The cheerleaders in Alabama were disciplined for their actions, but nothing has been done as of yet to the Tennessee incident. And while I won't draw parallels to entire races being persecuted for one groups actions (as some have recently made in other threads), it really makes you wonder how some could be ignorant of not only their country's history, but history local to the very areas which they live, especially during November, which is Native American Month in the US.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BL.

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yeah, that's pretty effed up right there.

Turn the tables on the South: "We're marching to the sea, and you're our next stop!"

3. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

As Forest's Mom would say "Stupid is as stupid does..."

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is just in very bad taste. I'm not sure what else to say. They're taking an obvious sore point in history and taunting the descendents of those who were on the receiving end of it.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Curious if there's a high school football team called the indians in Oklahoma.

Now THAT would go over well considering.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Forgive my misanthropic cynicism, but it assumes that they have any real understanding of history, or the meaning of the phrase...about which I have grave doubts.

The lack of knowledge of history...especially our own, is truly sad.

7. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

There are 18 schools in Oklahoma whose mascot is the "Indian":

Arapaho Indians
    Asher Indians
    Catoosa Indians
    Comanche Indians
    El Reno Indians
    Little Axe Indians
    Marietta Indians
    Navajo Indians
    Oklahoma Sch. Deaf Indians
    Plainview Indians
    Pocola Indians
    Sequoyah (Tahlequah) Indians
    Shattuck Indians
    Stilwell Indians
    Tahlequah-Sequoyah Indians
    Tishomingo Indians
    Vici Indians
    Wapanucka Indians

And that's not even getting into any colloquialisms for various schools, either. Also, keep in mind that Tahlequah is where the main offices are for the Cherokee Tribe.

BL.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

No one even considered something as simple as wikipedia prior to painting the reference on a banner? Perhaps next time they should try a holocaust joke or a slavery reference and see how well those go over. They aren't much different. As you point out, they are making jokes about things they don't understand. I suspect they need to re-examine their curriculum.

9. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

The Principle and Superintendent of the Alabama school is requiring all history and Social Studies teachers in their entire district to teach, or re-teach the lesson about the Trail of Tears, and stress that it is no laughing matter, nor is it sportsmanlike or cool to use that incident in a taunting manner. So the lesson will be learned in Alabama.

Tennessee, nothing so far, except that the principal there told them to take it down. In the Dyersburg principal's defense, he didn't know about it until it was too late. However, he did 'somewhat' (term used loosely) tried to defend it. From the MJ article:

Just like if Washington hadn't have chosen the Redskins as their mascot, they wouldn't be in the situation they are in.

BL.

10. citizenzen, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think they had a historic understanding of the phrase. What they lacked was an ability to appreciate the inappropriateness of the phrase being used in the way they did.

I believe it has less to do with a knowledge of history and more to do with a lack of wisdom and compassion. I'm not surprised, however, to find teenagers lacking in those two traits. I certainly did when I was that age.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's also one of the main Trail Of Tears tribal areas. There's a very large memorial to it in Tahlequah.
    Been there.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Your points are well taken.

But there were "adults" somewhere in the situation who allowed the signs to be displayed. Perhaps one can understand cruelty and insensitivity in some teens...but where were the teachers and administrators in allowing the signs to be displayed?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Good question. I hope there will be better supervision from now on.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I can't help but assume that a good many (if not most) "adult supervisors" in the US have only heard the highly sanitized versions of US history that tend to play down anything "negative" such as the ethnic cleansing aspect of the Trail of Tears.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think teenagers would do this with the holocaust if they were playing a Jewish school.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But are you suggesting that they didn't know the history of the "Trail of Tears"?

Do you think they just picked that phrase randomly?

I think they must have known that it involved ...

1. suffering

2. Native Americans

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Maybe. Or maybe not. According to the 2010 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), just 12 percent of seniors are proficient in U.S. history. [source]

And too, if the teacher was using the history textbook, America: Land That I Love, Teacher ed., the kids would be told: [source]

"God used the Trail of Tears to bring many Indians to Christ."

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Are kids that stupid ? I mean. There's a reason it's called The Trail Of Tears.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So the cheerleaders were holding up a sign saying "Indians get ready to leave with Christ, Part 2?"

I believe that ... if the cheerleaders were Mormons, maybe.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Umm? I didn't say anything about the imaginary sign you're referring to -- that's a product of your imagination.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That was my initial thought as well.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You mean the product of the OP?

The one they are pictured holding up?

See post #1.

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A: None of the above.

I spoke about the fictional sign you made up in your brain.

Namely:

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:confused:

I'm sorry.

You don't see how that follows from the discussion?

Do we need a review of the sequence of posts?

Perhaps I am mistaken about how the discussion has transpired ... though I think I've done a pretty good job of keeping up.

:confused:

25. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

So, do you have a factual point you wish to make?