Transfer Applecare+ - concerned!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fontane, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I'm about to buy an Iphone 4+ from craigslist and it comes with applecare + until 2014. I confirmed with AC+ with Apple but they are telling me to be careful because the seller can contact apple after he sells the phone to me and cancel AC+ and request a prorated refund, or the seller can report it stolen, etc.

How should I handle this? Now I'm concerned and I have to meet the seller tonight.

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Have the person transfer the AppleCare to you:

10. Transfer of Plan
    (i) With Transfer of Covered Equipment to New Owner. Subject to the restrictions set
    forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your rights under the
    Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer includes the original Proof of
    Purchase, the Plan's Confirmation and all of the Plan's packaging material, including
    printed materials and these Terms and Conditions; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer
    by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement
    Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number
    916-405-3655 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively; and (c) the party receiving
    the Plan accepts the Terms and Conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the
    transfer of the Plan, you must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial number of
    the Covered Equipment being transferred and the name, address, telephone number and
    email address of the new owner.

(ii) With Transfer From Original Covered Equipment to New Covered Equipment. You may
    make a one time, permanent transfer of the coverage under the Plan to a new Apple
    product that is owned and purchased by you within thirty (30) days of the Covered
    Equipment purchase. The new product must be eligible for coverage under the Plan and
    at the time of transfer both products must be covered under the manufacturer’s one (1)
    year limited warranty. Apple will issue a Plan Confirmation for the new product, which
    will then become the Covered Equipment. When notifying Apple of the transfer, you
    must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers and Proof of Purchase of
    the products being transferred by sending or faxing, where available, notice of transfer
    to Apple as set forth in the section immediately above.

3. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I just sold my 4S and sent all the required information to Apple to transfer AppleCare+ to the new owner. It's very easy. I understand your concern, but I'm not sure your seller would do something so corrupt. Make sure he gives you a copy (email, fax, letter, whatever) of the transfer request.

4. scootaru macrumors 6502

Is this referencing the new purchase or the original purchase date? Also, if my Applecare+ warranty is good until 10-13, would it still expire on that date?

5. WesCole macrumors 6502a

That wording is a little ambiguous...I take it to mean you can apply the remainder of AppleCare to a new product as long as you do it within 30 days of buying that product, and as long as the oldest device is still covered by the original 1 year warranty...but, I could be wrong.