Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altjx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I've been reading tons of articles that suggest going to the Info tab in the Device section under iTunes, and select Outlook, try Windows Contacts, etc. I've tried syncing using these options and contacts from the phone DO NOT appear in either Windows Contacts or Outlook.

Not sure what's the issue here or what these articles are talking about. However, I would like to get any advice from a forum member on how to transfer contacts FROM iPhone TO a computer (preferably Windows Contacts).

Reason is: I'm getting ready to restore another iPhone (various issues) and want to back up the contacts, and then sync them (restore them) again once I've restored it.

Also, if there's a better method than what I'm doing, I would appreciate that advice as well.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Works for me. Just like you said go to info and check the box to sync with windows contacts.
Then it will ask you when u sync if you want to copy and merge.
Then all your contacts should be listed in the contacts folder.

altjx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Works for me. Just like you said go to info and check the box to sync with windows contacts.
Then it will ask you when u sync if you want to copy and merge.
Then all your contacts should be listed in the contacts folder.

Any idea why I don't have that popup? Nothing pops up when I select "Sync contacts with" It just lets me choose Outlook, Windows contact, and Google contact. I hit Apply, the phone syncs, nothing appears in Outlook or Windows Contact (regardless of which one is selected).

----------

However, I do get a pop stating that my contacts are synced via iCloud to my knowledge. But the person I'm getting ready to assist does not have iCloud set up. Could this be why it's not working?

altjx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Also, can you NOT back up existing contacts to iCloud? I have contacts selected to "on" position and selected "back up now." I log into icloud.com and no contacts are in there. Backup took approximately 10-15 seconds.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No iCloud has nothing to do with copying them locally.
But if he opens a free iCloud account he can copy them there too.
Or try it again with itunes on another computer and then copy the contacts folder to a USB drive.

altjx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2010
No iCloud has nothing to do with copying them locally.
But if he opens a free iCloud account he can copy them there too.
Or try it again with itunes on another computer and then copy the contacts folder to a USB drive.

Hmm, ok. So in my situation where I do have an iCloud account, but all of my contacts are synced to Google, how do I get them to iCloud? The iCloud backup option is functioning, but not syncing anything to iCloud.

altjx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Lol:D
I don't know bro.
Nothing's working for you but works with everyone else:)

Lol. Yeah man it's just very strange. Notes and stuff are syncing but not contacts. Blah, oh well. :( Thanks for your help anyway. I really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.