Transfer Data from Macbook to Macbook Pro with NO MONITOR

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mferni, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mferni macrumors newbie

Have a Macbook and screen is dead. (Don't want to pay to fix it.)

Will be purchasing a new Mac Book Pro, and want to transfer some old data/files from old Macbook --> new Macbook Pro.

All things being equal, I'd be able to network the two devices and figure this out.

Problem is, I do not have an external monitor, and like I said laptop screen is dead.

Here is what I am thinking are my options, can any of you comment?

1) Purchase new Macbook Pro from Apple, bring the old and new laptop to Apple Store and they will assist me in transferring files. ***Is there a cost for this?

2) Find someone who has an external monitor and borrow for short time.

3) Link up via ethernet or crossconnect cable between the laptops and use some sort of software to give me remote access of the old laptop.

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.
    TIA from a NOOB

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

As long as this feature is still there, and your old macbook had a firewire port, just hook the two up with a firewire 400 cable, boot your old macbook while holding down the 't' key (I think) and it should show up as a drive on the new mbp's screen, and you can transfer as you please. As I said, this is the latest info I know, but double check at the store maybe.

If you don't have a firewire cable, I'm sure a genius at the store should be able to help you out, usually for free. The only thing is you might not have the leisure of time to pick precisely what you want to transfer.

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

If the MB is pretty much dead, why not just remove the HD, put it in a case and use it as an external HD on the MBP.