Transfer files to QuickOffice w/out Mobile Me or Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alenderf, May 5, 2009.

1. alenderf macrumors newbie

Hi all. I'm considering purchasing QuickOffice for iPhone (or perhaps just the word processor, QuickWord) but I'm unsure about transferring files to my iPod Touch. I don't have a MobileMe account and I can't transfer files via Wifi because of a firewall in my apartment building. Right now, I use ReaddleDocs, which comes with an Internet account that you can use to synch your files to your device, sidestepping this whole issue. Before that, I used FileAid, which let you transfer files via a USB connection. These are great but I want the ability to edit documents, copy and paste, etc. -- all the stuff only available in QuickOffice (at least so far).

So my question is: Can you transfer documents to and from QuickOffice using some method other than MobileMe or Wifi? I can't imagine I'm the only person in this situation.

Also -- and less importantly -- Does QuickOffice let you store and access file formats other than docuements? Like PDFs, images, music, vids, etc?

Thanks!

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I do not own this app, but from the description, there is no other way to get these docs into the app. This is one of the reasons why I did not purchase it. This sort of makes the app kind of useless. If I have to use a laptop/desktop to transfer a doc into this app, why wouldn't I just use the laptop to do my editing?

3. alenderf thread starter macrumors newbie

While I see your point, I still think there would be some value in an app that would let me transfer a document to my iPod, review and edit it on the go and then transfer the new version back to a laptop for further editing once one is available again. I doubt many people using this app don't own a laptop as it is. It's never claimed to be a replacement for a traditional word processor.

Anyway, thanks for the help. It's too bad the makers of this program apparently haven't seen it fit to add USB transfer capability for non-MobileMe users who work behind a firewall. Can anyone who owns the program confirm that this is in factvthe case once and for all for me?

Thanks.

4. elsaviano macrumors newbie

Yes, you can

YES THERE IS A WAY! Even with the ipad 1, you can transfer your power point files to quickoffice or kindle app WITHOUT wifi. Open itunes (download it if you don't have it, it's free). Connect your ipad. You should see it show up under "Device", itunes will automatically sync your ipad with your laptop. At the top of the itunes screen you will see a toolbar with the option, "Apps". Click that. Then scroll down until you see quickoffice or kindle under "File Sharing". Click the one you want to add the document to. After you do this, a list of all your documents on your ipad should appear, and at the bottom an option for "add....". click "add..."....select the file you want to add from your laptop. Click "apply" to sync changes. Done