Transfer mail/photos from a 10.4.11 system to a new iMac ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AndyFL, Nov 10, 2010.

1. AndyFL macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Have an emac running 10.4.11 and iPhoto '08 (7.1.5). Moving to a new imac. I'm really only concerned with transferring my iPhoto library and mail - how is this done? I've got an external FW drive enclosure coming. But from that point, with the external drive now connected to the iMac ... is it as simple as dragging the library over to the new iMac (any compatibility issues between OS or iPhoto versions?). And what about mail - is there a need to actually transfer messages over or will they all be downloaded from the server upon first login? Thanks in advance.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Every new Mac ships with the Migration Assistant utility. Use it after you establish your user account on your new machine and before you retire your old one.

3. AndyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ah yes forgot about MA. Question is - can I migrate from the external drive (as opposed to ethernet connection directly between the computers)?? I actually will not physically have the entire emac in front of me to make the transfer - rather removing the HD and putting it in an enclosure. Thanks

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, I have migrated from an external drive when I cloned my daughter's MacBook, and then did a clean reinstall.

5. AndyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thanks for the clarification.