Transfer of cydia applications from iphone 3G to 3GS

yiannos9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
hi
i recently jailbroke and unlocked the new 3GS.
is there a way to transfer my cydia applications from my current 3G iphone to my new phone?
i hate downloading again all my cydia apps from the beggining!!!
maybe there is any software that i can use that im not aware of...

If anyone has anything that can help me please let me know.

thanks

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
hi
i recently jailbroke and unlocked the new 3GS.
is there a way to transfer my cydia applications from my current 3G iphone to my new phone?
i hate downloading again all my cydia apps from the beggining!!!
maybe there is any software that i can use that im not aware of...

If anyone has anything that can help me please let me know.

thanks
I am not sure, but you might be able to use pkgbackup to create a contact with a list of all installed packages, sync it to your new phone, and do a one-click reinstall. I'm not certain of this, however; Pkgbackup backups may be keyed to a particular phone using the IMEI or something.

Comment

yiannos9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
i will try it anyway i have nothing to lose ... i hope...
thanks

Comment

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
For some, not all, you have to email the developer and they'll transfer the serial to your new phone. I've done this a few times...

Comment

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
I am not sure, but you might be able to use pkgbackup to create a contact with a list of all installed packages, sync it to your new phone, and do a one-click reinstall. I'm not certain of this, however; Pkgbackup backups may be keyed to a particular phone using the IMEI or something.
PkgBackup saves the Cydia apps to a contact file.

Just sync the new phone to your old contacts list in iTunes.

Then get PkgBackup on new phone and hit restore.

Comment

JMC2008

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
So how to get Pkg Backup back?

PkgBackup saves the Cydia apps to a contact file.

Just sync the new phone to your old contacts list in iTunes.

Then get PkgBackup on new phone and hit restore.
....this is exactly the situation that I am in - I have some paid Cydia apps (they do not appear in iTunes which I think is stating the obvious) ...on the old iPhone (3G) - and I am going to a new (3GS) one and have pkg back up installed - and the file created in the contacts and synced.

However - how to do a restore of this on the new iPhone when I need to have pckg backup on the new iPhone to execute the restore - ?

Do I have to buy it again (pckg backup) or another way?

I have emailed the developer and hope to hear back.

Am I the only one who finds the "how to" for this app not quite complete? I got it for this specific reason. But there is no 'walk-through' for the first timer in the situation that I would think one of the two - that it would be really useful.

Help?:apple:

Thanks!
Jared

Comment

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
....this is exactly the situation that I am in - I have some paid Cydia apps (they do not appear in iTunes which I think is stating the obvious) ...on the old iPhone (3G) - and I am going to a new (3GS) one and have pkg back up installed - and the file created in the contacts and synced.

However - how to do a restore of this on the new iPhone when I need to have pckg backup on the new iPhone to execute the restore - ?

Do I have to buy it again (pckg backup) or another way?

I have emailed the developer and hope to hear back.

Am I the only one who finds the "how to" for this app not quite complete? I got it for this specific reason. But there is no 'walk-through' for the first timer in the situation that I would think one of the two - that it would be really useful.

Help?:apple:

Thanks!
Jared
Re: PkgBackup

Well the app is simple enough to use, not much how to needed, but...

I don't know what effect changing phones has on the license you got when you bought it for your old phone.

Don't know if it can be transferred over ? Perhaps if you are just running it on one phone (as in sold old phone ?)

Comment