Transfer *only* photos between iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dennya, Sep 25, 2013.

1. dennya macrumors regular

dennya

My iPhone 5S is here today, and for the first time, I'm not going to just copy my backup from my 4s. It's the same backup that's been carried over from 3gs to 4 to 4s. I've already had to edit system files once to fix an album art problem, my IMAP is quirky, and I figure at this point I want to just start fresh. This will also get rid of all the games/apps I never use all at once, if I start installing stuff as I actually need it.

My question is, how can I get my picture library over from the old iPhone to the new one if I'm not restoring my backup using iTunes? I know iCloud will copy over my contacts/calendar. But what's the best way to move photos (only) directly from one iPhone to another on a Windows PC?

2. blen macrumors regular

blen

Import from camera roll to your PC, sync back via iTunes.

3. iSIILENT macrumors regular

You can always do the good old I believe camera view with your iPhone plugged in an just do a copy and paste and transfer same way to new phone

----------

^ This is way better explained lol

4. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Depending on how many photos are on your phone, iCloud Photostream will store your past 1000 photos and they'll start showing up once you login. You'll just have to save/move them from Photostream to your Camera Roll again.

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Up to your last 1000 photos from the last 30 days, if you only have 300 within the last 30 days then it will only have those 300.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Nope. It's 1000 photos. I always have exactly that number.

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Use NFC to transfer from one phone to another. Oh wait, I don't think they have implemented this yet. Maybe in the iPhone 6 :)

8. blen macrumors regular

blen

I would not suggest this as Photostream compresses photos. Always keep your originals.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

LOL. How many days would that take?

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

It caches up to a 1,000 on the iPhone but only stores the last 30 days worth in the cloud for Photostream, if you were to erase your phone and setup as new you would only get the photos from the last 30 days in your Photostream.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Ok, cool. Did not know that.

12. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Another option, one that I use, is an app called photo sync. This will allow you to transfer photos to a computer or another iOS device as long as they are on the same wifi network.

13. shankar2 macrumors 6502

So icloud only backsup latest 30 days of photos? The remaining it won't sync to the new iphone?