Transfer to iPhone 5: Restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JonMPLS, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Or set up as new? Restore from update worked great for my iPad, but interested to see your recommendations.

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

When upgrading from 3Gs to iPhone 4, I ran a full backup via iTunes and then plugged the new iPhone into PC, let iTunes recognize it as new device and then chose the option of setting up as same username with backup data. Worked like a charm. Planning to do it the same way this time. :)

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'd say the only reason to not restore from back up is because 1) you don't have any vital information on your phone (i.e. it's all apps with info restorable from the web) and 2) you'd like to start with a clean phone. (Admittedly I did this with my latest iPad).

Otherwise, restore from backup works fine. No reason not to do it.

4. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! Interested to see how the Apps look on the new screensize. Hope they adapt them soon!

5. thenobody macrumors member

Do we need to update the iphone 4 to iOS6 before restoring the new iPhone 5 from backup?
    Or can the old iphone 4 still be on 5.1.1?

I'd rather not upgrade and wait until the 5 arrives for ios6 so it will seem somewhat new.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I plan on skipping the update on the iPhone 4 because I have to wipe it anyway before passing it on to my son. iPhone 5 will come with iOS 6.

7. kingdLo macrumors 6502

One thing I've always done with either a major new iOS release or getting s new phone is SET UP AS NEW vs RESTORE FROM BACKUP. Yea, it sucks having to resync but I much prefer to not have anything from the previous gen on my new one

8. thenobody macrumors member

Well then what about all your messages and other app content? How do you get that back in if you set it up as new?
    Is the only way a restore from backup?

9. thenobody macrumors member

I realize that and I too want to skip the ios6 update on my iPhone 4 until I get the 5 and the iPhone 4 is then shut off.
    I just don't know if the backup I create from the iPhone 4 will need to be on iOS 6 to be able to 'restore' the content onto the iPhone 5.
    Maybe it doesn't matter what version iOS but would appreciate someone confirming this if possible.

10. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Just restore from iCloud backup. Easy as pie. That's what I did when I upgraded from my iPhone 4 to my 4S and it was super simple.

11. thenobody macrumors member

And you set it up as a new phone first?
    Or restored from backup straight away?

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

It doesn't need to have the same version of the OS. A backup from a 4S on an older OS to the 5 on iOS 6 will work just fine. I've had every single model of the iPhone and iPad so far and in every case I've restored from a backup and in most cases the OS was older on the previous device.

13. thenobody macrumors member

14. maplelegend macrumors newbie

maplelegend

Here's how you can transfer to iphone 5 with iTunes:

1.Back up your old device using iTunes and transfer your data from your device to your computer.

2. If your device uses a SIM card: Use the SIM-extractor tool or a paper clip to remove the SIM from your old device and insert it into your new device. If your carrier provided you with a new SIM card, use that instead.

3. Turn on your new device and complete the Setup Assistant by selecting your language and country, and choose whether to enable Location Services. When prompted, choose your Wi-Fi network.If you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection, you can also activate by tapping "Connect to iTunes".

4. When prompted to set up your device, select "Restore from iTunes Backup".

5. Connect your new device to iTunes (on the same computer you used to back up your current iPhone). iTunes will ask you to restore from backup or set up as new. Select the backup of your old device and choose Continue.

6. When the restore process is complete, your device will restart. Then it will be ready for use. You should keep your device connected to iTunes to sync data not contained in the backup (such as music, videos, apps, and so on). You can verify and change which data are synced by clicking the syncing tabs in iTunes.

You can also use iCloud to transfer information from old iPhone to new iphone 5, here's an article from Apple's Support: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.