Transfering fonts from a 2009 21.5" to a 2014 Retina 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shippouk, Jul 16, 2015.

1. shippouk macrumors regular

Hi Guys

I'm moving from a 2009 21.5" iMac to a Retina 27" iMac behemoth and want to tranfer over ALL my fonts (Includung the ones that Ive been building up over the years.)

My question though is if I export them all over from the 21.5" will I then have a load of duplicates from whats aleady on the machine?

Are the fonts on the Retina iMac more "Hi-def"?

What is the CORRECT way of tranfering fonts EXACTLY please?

Thanks in advance

2. shippouk thread starter macrumors regular

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just open Font Book app and select the fonts you want to move then go to export fonts in the file menu.

Only move over the third party fonts you have added though. Don't move the defaults or you will have dupes as you mentioned.

4. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I am just wondering. I have just got my first iMac and didn't know about this font book app. I wonder:

• is there any harm in removing those fonts that I know I will never use?? ie the foreign language ones like arabic hebrew??
    • How do you tell if the font is a postscript or a truetype? I remember back to the early macs that they just used postscript fonts then when windows started using TrueType then that was supported. is there any difference?
    • if the mac now supports truetype, can I bring fonts from my old windows machine over to the mac?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is okay to remove extra fonts like foreign language sets. Just be careful not to remove the default system fonts.

In Fontbook is you select a font then hit command-i you will get this window where you can see the font type like in my screenshot.

I don't know about using fonts moved over from Windows.

Attached Files:

6. shippouk thread starter macrumors regular

Having nearly 500 fonts I couldnt go through them one at a time, so I exported/imported.
    The system said I had issues with some, I continued, then I was prompted that some were doubled so I told the system to fix it and it made the doubled up ones no longer selectable.
    It is currently working fine.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I just migrated and they all came over.

If you do a lot of stuff with fonts you might wanna look at FontExplorerPro by LinoType. It might make things easier for you.