Transfering purchases iTunes question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miraishak, Nov 2, 2012.

1. miraishak macrumors member

i opened itunes and right before i connected my iphone4 to sync it, i accidentally clicked on something i don't know in itunes, and ended up in a section in itunes called "Downloads" and a question poped up on the screen. i don't remember the exact question, but it was something along the lines of "would you like itunes to check for..... to keep your purchases"

i had to answer with "YES" or "NO"

since i didn't understand, i just hit "Alt+F4" and the question disappeared. and i closed itunes, then opned again and synced my phone normally.

i am a bit worried since i didn't understand the question and i am not sure if i answered YES or NO when i hit "Alt + F4"

i just don't want it to have messed anything related to my phone settings or apps, or i will have any sort of conflict or error if i ever have to restore my phone.

can someone advise?

2. lelisa13p, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

There is an option (which I use before backing up) to transfer your iTunes purchases from iPhone to iTunes. This assures that anything that you've purchased using your iPhone will be reflected in iTunes. Then if you run a backup everything is up to date. The option of transferring purchases is in the dropdown File menu at the top of iTunes.

You might have clicked on Backup, where that question is immediately asked.

I should add that I don't use iCloud for anything other than Find My iPhone and sync everything on my computer via iTunes.

3. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

Hi miraishak, I saw that you sent me a PM regarding the question you had in this thread. I'd rather answer it here directly so if someone else has a similar query they know what has happened.

Normally the Alt+F4 will close a window. In the case of the prompt message window which iTunes returned, I presume this would have just applied cancel (i.e. no) and exited from that prompt.

The message you are referring to is benign. It was iTunes asking you whether you allow it to search for items you have purchased (i.e. music/apps etc) and automatically download them - i.e. make them available in your iTunes library).

I'd simply connect the iPhone to your iTunes, right-click on its icon within iTunes and point to "Transfer purchases". This way you can make sure that all of your iPhone purchased items are loaded to your iTunes library too.