Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have thought long and hard about this problem and can't seem to come up with a solution. I have several gigs of files on my eMac 1Ghz and I need to transfer them to my PowerMac 7300 (no USB or FireWire). How can I do this without having to burning everything onto CDs (which takes forever)? I thought about getting a cheap hard drive (like an iPod maybe :D ), but how I could I connect it to my PowerMac? Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Is the OS the same version on both machines? (or close) In other words, will they be able to talk to each other through the ethernet/appletalk solution? I tried that with OSX and System 8 and was unable to get them to talk. Of course I probably didn't know what I was doing ;) I'm sure someone else would be able to walk you through that process.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
MacDawg said:
Is the OS the same version on both machines? (or close) In other words, will they be able to talk to each other through the ethernet/appletalk solution? I tried that with OSX and System 8 and was unable to get them to talk. Of course I probably didn't know what I was doing ;) I'm sure someone else would be able to walk you through that process.

I too am running OS 8 (8.6) on one and OS X (10.3) on the other. But I will give the ethernet solution a try. Could someone please tell me what type of cable I would need for that and possibly where I could get it. Can I use just a standard ethernet cable, or do I need something special (sorry, I have no knowledge of networking at all).

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I was able to drop files from my Umax Clone running OS 8.1 via "Apple Talk" to my G3 running Panther. All I could do was see the "Drop Box" and couldn't open it but it was all I needed to get files from one to the other, on a small ethernet LAN. A cross-over cable for ethernet to connect directly would probably get the same results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.