All Devices Transferring home media to iPad/iPhone from Mac

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by Ansath, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Ansath macrumors member

Ansath

Has anyone been able to transfer media that's on their Mac to their iPad/iPhone via the new Apple TV app? Every time I click and drag, it doesn't drop, and the only way I've found is to change it to the automatic syncing, which I am not a fan of, I prefer to manually manage my library.

2. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

I’m sort but I can’t answer your question, but I do have a question about transferring media.

When syncing over USB I understand the device will show up in finder. Does this include the opportunity of adding media to apps like VLC? I rarely sync my iPad Pro but just add media to VLC instead.

3. Ansath thread starter macrumors member

Ansath

Yes, you can do it in the File Sharing bit, just like you would have done in iTunes, if you’re talking about transferring it over USB to the iPad for the VLC app on there.

Like this: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201301

Or are you talking about using the new external storage support?

4. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

You will be able to. VLC creates a folder in the "On my iPad" section and you can move media in and out of that at will. However, it's pretty slow and buggy in this early beta and copy and paste in general is a bit broken. I'm not worried about that - I can see the possibilities coming.

5. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

Thank you Ansath & Feenician. I am talking about transferring from iMac hard drive to iPad over USB. I don’t normally use copy & paste but do the usual browse and select from within iTunes, I’m assuming the same approach will be work in Finder. After reading your posts, I’ll wait until the beta is on general release before I try it out.

6. Mr Todhunter macrumors regular

Mr Todhunter

L
    You CANNOT transfer ANY media file (music, books, movies..)by drag and drop. Period.

7. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

You can't now, and almost certainly won't be able to at release, move music into the Apple Music app. Music/Books/TV apps do no expose containers for it in Files. There's no reason you can't move these types of files (provided they don't have DRM) into another app such as VLC or another book reader.

8. Ansath thread starter macrumors member

Ansath

Yes you could, within iTunes, under the File Sharing section, as evidenced here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201301

This functionality had seem to have gone, but I've found it now! :)

It's now located in Finder, once the device is in there, you click on it, go to Files, and drag the file into the subsection under the App you want the file in. It then takes a few seconds for it to show, but it's working! :)

So you can drag books directly into Kindle app, Adobe Reader, Word, Pages, Firefox, Chunky, etc. Any that supports the File Sharing bit. Obviously not directly into Apple Music, TV, Podcasts though, which wasn't what I was on about originally anyway.

9. Mr Todhunter macrumors regular

Mr Todhunter

Within iTunes? But there is no iTunes if you run Catalina.

10. Ansath thread starter macrumors member

Ansath

You've not read my whole post........