Transferring iPhone to new Mac without restoring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ECUpirate44, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a new RMBP coming and I totally forgot about syncing with my jailbroken iPhone 5. How do I sync it to the new Mac without having to restore the iPhone?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just make sure your iTunes library matches up with the previous computer. Make sure that all iTunes accounts associated with the device are authorized on the new computer and just plug in and sync. Everything should just transfer over. But you need to make sure the libraries are identical. (If not identical, you risk losing apps and data, but you still won't need to restore.)

Best thing to do is drag and drop the entire iTunes folder from the old computer to the new one and import it. Then it will be an exact clone.

3. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thats what those authorize buttons do in iTunes :D Thanks.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is...close but not quite accurate as it doesn't account for backups. Don't bother with trying to make it match identically or import, simply put your entire itunes folder on an external drive and place in the same location on your new machine. Additionally, navigate to the backups folder, put it on your drive and put in the same place on your new machine. I would also assume that the structure has shifted enough on iTunes 11 that you'll want to make sure both machines are running the same version.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Why does it matter about transferring backups? As soon as you plug in the phone, it will create a new backup. Problem solved. In addition, if the OP is using iCloud backup then its not an issue at all.

6. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yeah I use iCloud so no issues there. What about my app library? Do I copy that over too? Or just transfer them from the device?

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Copy it over as well, it just makes it easier. Therefore an app isn't removed by mistake and you lose data within that app.

8. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Would they be copied if I selected "transfer purchases" with my phone plugged in on the new computer?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I would assume so. Unless you have apps from other people on your phone as well or if you have more than one iTunes account. Easiest way to do it would be transfer the entire iTunes folder to new computer. Open up that folder and double click on iTunes Library.itl file and it will open iTunes under than library and everything will match up.

10. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thanks for your help.