Transferring movies on videotape to iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by None Such, Sep 25, 2007.

1. None Such macrumors 6502

I just recently got a MBP. I haven't started messing around in iMovie yet. But was wondering how can I transfer my home movies from my videocamera into iMovie and edit them. It's an older camcorder that has the white and yellow inputs/outputs. I haven't really looked into it just thought someone might know a solution. Thanks.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I think you need some kind of box to convert your analog tapes into a digital stream so that iMovie can import it. There has been quite a few threads about it. You might want to try forum search.

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

You need a converter box. I use the Canopus and it works really well.

You plug your camcorder into one side of it and a Firewire cable out of it and into your Mac.

Works like a charm.

Cheers.

4. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, I tried forum search. I guess my keywords were too broad. Thanks.

5. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! How much do these things run?

6. maberga29 macrumors member

Yeah, you do need some sort of A/D converter... I've been using an elgato eyetv 250 to do this. It's been working well so far, the software is pretty simple to use. The 250 is made for watching/recording TV on your mac, but it can (very easily) act as a go between for your camcorder and mac. Pretty much the same deal as above; just plug the RCA cables into the 250 and you're good to go. I would recommend this, but there are a lot of extrenuous features if you only want to make your analog tapes digital. Check out the product page for more details.

7. maberga29 macrumors member

8. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. Looks like I should just use that money that I would spend on any of these different converters and just get a newer camcorder and use my dvd/vcr recorder to transfer vhs to the dvd and then do it through imovie that way. I already have tivo and tivotogo on my mac(in Toast 8) so buying this wouldn't really be much more than a converter and I don't have that many home movies.