iPad Transferring movies/videos iPad? iTunes feels counterinutuiteive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jackofharts, Nov 10, 2013.

1. jackofharts macrumors member

Hi guys & gals,

Does anyone use any other programs to organise and put video onto their iPad? I hate having to drag everything into iTunes and then select it and sync, especially if I have forgotten to turn off "make a copy" in preferences.

There must be a better way? Is there anything there lets me keep videos in folders and generally make the whole experience more enjoyable.

Thanks!

EDIT: counterintuitive - embarrassing

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's always been like that with iPads. Personally I don't mind it at all, keeps everything organized.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you want to organize videos into folders, look around the App Store for file managers and/or media players. File manager apps obviously let you organize files into folders, and most of them will play media if they are in iTunes compatible format. Many media player apps have folder functions, and they also let you play non-iTunes media formats.

4. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Download VLC or another movie player. You can drag from Finder right into those apps and they'll sync with your iPad.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't think Apple will want to make it easier for you to load media you didn't buy from them. It can be done, but there is a lot of work involved.

I use iDentify, an app on my MBA to tag videos and make sure they have appropriate descriptions, cover art, classifications, etc.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iTunes is organized by itself. Pretty easy from a media management perspective. Dump all videos, music, and content not itunes for playback, organization, and syncing. Don't bother with traditional organization via folders/directories.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Apple is actually helping you. Let's say you have a MOVIE folder on your computer with 20 videos. But, you only want 5 of them on your ipad. How does Apple/iTunes know? It does not.

Easy... you PICK the ones you want.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Unless the videos came from the iTunes Store, the metadata will be wrong or missing. This makes a spaghetti of videos in your iPad. If Apple really wanted to help, they'd make metadata editing a function of the iPad. But that would make getting non iTunes content too easy.

9. sofakng macrumors regular

This is one of my biggest complaints about iOS.

I just want to drag and drop media without using iTunes, etc.

I also want to be able to background download media without restrictions like 10 minutes or requiring special developer API :(

10. darknyt macrumors 6502a

I use AVPlayer HD for iPad. Plays virtually any file format and lets you organize the videos as you want.

Transfers over drag and drop in iTunes app section or even over wireless.

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This is ******. Why is apple making it harder to use the iPad the way I want to. This is how android gets more popular. I don't want to sync my iPad to my computer. I just wanted to download this video to my computer so I could watch a video on my iPad. It really sucks ass.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yeah I would prefer to be able to drag and drop stuff onto my iOS devices. Probably one of the things I'll miss most from android, but I can live without it.

However on the plus side I can get petty much whatever I want from iTunes.

13. yegon macrumors 68020

This.

Don't know what all the moaning is about, putting stuff on via the panel in iTunes is hardly THAT different to drag n drop. Yeah, one more hurdle I suppose, but hardly end of the world.

Watching video via the inbuilt player is a faff though, far better to use AVPlayerHD or equivalent.