Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I just subscribed to iTunes match and got all my music matched/uploaded. When I go to transfer music from my Mac to my iPhone it gives me an error saying that the music is in the cloud and must be downloaded from my iPhone.

This makes no sense. It's gonna take me forever to download all the music again on my iPhone, compared to just transferring it over. Why can't I just transfer it over from my Mac and still have iTunes Match? Plus, I'm jailbroken so once I upgrade my firmware, I'll have to restore and re-download all my music once again :(

iTorment

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I just subscribed to iTunes match and got all my music matched/uploaded. When I go to transfer music from my Mac to my iPhone it gives me an error saying that the music is in the cloud and must be downloaded from my iPhone.

This makes no sense. It's gonna take me forever to download all the music again on my iPhone, compared to just transferring it over. Why can't I just transfer it over from my Mac and still have iTunes Match? Plus, I'm jailbroken so once I upgrade my firmware, I'll have to restore and re-download all my music once again :(

Turn off iTunes Match off on your iOS device and try to resync.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Devil's Advocate:

If the music is in the cloud right now, why would you need to re-download all of it to your phone right now? You will pull music as you need or want it. There's no reason to fully download all of it, all at once.

The only reason I could see this being an issue is if you are going to be spending 20-30 hours in a WiFi- or 3G-free environment very soon (like a long flight?) But for day to day listening and use, just download as you go.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
How were you syncing before getting iTunes match? I synced my music manually by creating a playlist for my iPhone and dropping everything I wanted synced into it. When I got iTunes match, I turned on iTunes match from my phone, it said it would replace everything, but when I hit ok all of the music I had synced previously was still available locally on my phone, plus I have the option to download any music that's not there.

iTorment

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Kansas City, MO
Devil's Advocate:

If the music is in the cloud right now, why would you need to re-download all of it to your phone right now? You will pull music as you need or want it. There's no reason to fully download all of it, all at once.

The only reason I could see this being an issue is if you are going to be spending 20-30 hours in a WiFi- or 3G-free environment very soon (like a long flight?) But for day to day listening and use, just download as you go.

I don't like how far they are taking this, if I want some songs locally, let us have that choice. I like how they are moving towards cords-free, but let us make that choice.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
How were you syncing before getting iTunes match? I synced my music manually by creating a playlist for my iPhone and dropping everything I wanted synced into it. When I got iTunes match, I turned on iTunes match from my phone, it said it would replace everything, but when I hit ok all of the music I had synced previously was still available locally on my phone, plus I have the option to download any music that's not there.

That's how it worked for me as well. I have all the previously synced music on my phone, plus access to the other 9000+ songs in my library. It did not delete/replace the songs I already had 'living' on my iPhone.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Devil's Advocate:

because all those carries are stupid with their data caps and i'd reach my 1 GB limit within a few days

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
Going into Settings > Music and turning off iCloud Music Library on the device did it with Apple Music subscription, I was able to sync with iTunes after that, maybe they have that option with iTunes Match as well?

Another workaround I tried was using Readdle's Documents app to store some of my mp3s and play it from there.

haikitteh

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
Going into Settings > Music and turning off iCloud Music Library on the device did it with Apple Music subscription, I was able to sync with iTunes after that, maybe they have that option with iTunes Match as well?

Another workaround I tried was using Readdle's Documents app to store some of my mp3s and play it from there.
malih, I'm interested in your solution but couldn't find Settings>Music>iCloud Music Library anywhere. is it in System Preferences? I looked there and in iTunes' System Preferences but couldn't find it in either place. Your help is greatly appreciated, this is the one thing about Apple Music that keeps me from loving it.

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
malih, I'm interested in your solution but couldn't find Settings>Music>iCloud Music Library anywhere. is it in System Preferences? I looked there and in iTunes' System Preferences but couldn't find it in either place. Your help is greatly appreciated, this is the one thing about Apple Music that keeps me from loving it.

It's a setting on the iOS device you're syncing music to, in this case your iPhone.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Devil's Advocate:

I don't think Apple music would even function in-flight. even for offline music since connection would be lost due to copyright reasons in said country the offline song is not available for streaming.

usb transfer songs would be the only way to store locally without internet connection.

Even offline music u can't play them since u need to sign in to enable icloud libary for that and signed in with the correct AppleID.

Alternately, use Macsome software, or get the music some other way.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I don't think Apple music would even function in-flight. even for offline music since connection would be lost due to copyright reasons in said country the offline song is not available for streaming.

usb transfer songs would be the only way to store locally without internet connection.

Even offline music u can't play them since u need to sign in to enable icloud libary for that and signed in with the correct AppleID.

Alternately, use Macsome software, or get the music some other way.

I'm not so sure about that wouldn't that defeat the purpose of make available offline? If I download a song or select make available offline then put my phone in airplane mode I can still listen to the track. In other words I don't need internet access.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
correct, but how would Apple verify you have an active Apple music subscription for playing offline without internet access
?

If airplane mode works, then that would mean i could steal all of Apple music, switch to airplane mode and never need AM again. One would think Apple would need to verify something.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
correct, but how would Apple verify you have an active Apple music subscription for playing offline without internet access
?

If airplane mode works, then that would mean i could steal all of Apple music, switch to airplane mode and never need AM again. One would think Apple would need to verify something.

I'm sure it does at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.