Transferring number to new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Surrylic, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Surrylic macrumors regular

Okay. So I currently have straight talk for my cell phone provider. I purchased my iphone 5 from AT&T. My service end date with straight talk is the 19th of this month... So if I don't renew I will be without a phone for about a day and a half. When I turn on my iPhone 5 is the number going to transfer like it should or will it fail to do so because my phone is not in service? Any ideas? I definitely don't want to pay 30 to 45 dollars for a day and a half of service, you know?

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Have you applied to port your number? If so it should happen with in a few days at most. Sometimes AT&T can give you a temp number till yours is ported and then text you when it is done.

3. Surrylic thread starter macrumors regular

When I purchased the phone on Apple's website I did indeed apply to have it ported. I was just worried that if my current cell phone service ran out and my number was deactivated that I wouldn't be able to port the number. Thanks!

4. SinkOrSwim macrumors regular

SinkOrSwim

--- Call at&t and let them know what's going on.

5. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I agree with SinkOrSwim a call would not hurt but I am betting you will be just fine. You old carrier does not give out old numbers for months, a few days should not lose it.

6. Surrylic thread starter macrumors regular

Phew... concerns alleviated, but I will call AT&T to verify everything as suggested. Now it'll just be weird to be cell phone free for a day or so :D