Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
The new document scanner in iOS 11 is great - except I can't figure out how to get those scanned documents off of my iPhone and onto my computer without using send to email/iCloud Drive as a workaround, at which point it's faster and easier to just fire up my actual scanner.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
The scanned documents sync through iCloud notes, no? You should be able to access them in the Notes app on the Mac.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I know you can send the scan to Drobox (did that recently).

Notes app on iCloud.com might have a download option.

Guessing anything file storage related that has implemented iOS sharing will work.

[...]at which point it's faster and easier to just fire up my actual scanner.

Well, yeah. The iOS document scanner is really for when you don't have a scanner, computer off, away from computer, etc., imo. I use the scanner function to pull in docs to save to a cloud account, and then file away on the computer when I've turned it on and using it. Otherwise, I fire up the scanner.

Last edited:

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I was really hoping that there was some kind of plug-in-the-Lightning-cable-and-copy solution like there is with photos, but I suppose Apple never makes things easy ;) Would have saved a lot of time for all those one-offs where I'm filling out an online form and discover at the end that I need to attach a scanned copy of a receipt/UPC code/void cheque/etc.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I was really hoping that there was some kind of plug-in-the-Lightning-cable-and-copy solution like there is with photos, but I suppose Apple never makes things easy ;) Would have saved a lot of time for all those one-offs where I'm filling out an online form and discover at the end that I need to attach a scanned copy of a receipt/UPC code/void cheque/etc.

PC or Mac?

If you are dealing with a Mac you can AirDrop them like mentioned. Or just let it sync to the Notes.app via iCloud.

However what I do is scan the document, share, create PDF, and save it with iCloud Drive (you can use most any cloud storage if they offer an app with extension for this which most do). Once its there you can do whatever you want with it on your computer. iCloud is highly integrated into Macs make it an extension of your HDD so some will leave it as it is however Mac/PC you can download it, modify it, organize it, etc etc from there. Since its in the cloud you can do this at your leisure, scan a bunch of documents today and deal with them on the computer tomorrow or whenever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.