Transferring to new phone when the old phone has a newer version of iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by largefarrva, Nov 4, 2017.

1. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

From what I’m seeing here I won’t be able to just restore from backup to my iPhone X when it gets here hopefully in a couple days. The X needs to be on 11.1 like my iPhone 7+ currently is right now.

What exactly is the procedure that I need to follow to ensure the restore goes well? Or does it all happen on its own during the setup process of the X? Just wondering if it will know what to do automatically or if I need to do things in a certain order.

2. gurase macrumors 6502

Set up as a new phone, install update, erase all content and settings, restore from backup.

3. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

So iOS doesn’t install the update automatically? Well if to good to know that I have to manually do these steps, save the frustration of trying to figure out why it won’t restore from the backup. Thanks for the info.

4. meu macrumors member

Another step I encountered was after updating iPhone X to 11.1, I had to turn off Find my iPhone on the iPhone X and on my Iphone 6s Plus before it would restore from back up. Takes a bit to get your new iPhone X back to how your last phone was. Still playing with settings and getting apps that use passcode to work with face ID etc. But its part of the fun, playing and setting up my new toy!

5. Ghostbuster386 macrumors regular

Ghostbuster386

During the new iPhone set up process it lets you do the update and restore from the old phone. You don’t have to set up as new to update and then erase and restore.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't have automatic updates on so for me when I plugged in my X the first time I received two messages -- 1) that there was a newer version of iOS (11.1) and did I want to update and 2) carrier update (TMob) and did I want to update.

Initially I said no to both and opted to restore from backup from my 7. No dice. I had to update the X with both updates. Then I was able to restore from backup.

Also there is a new feature that will xfer user settings from an old device to the new one that works similar to how you pair your iPhone to your AW. You'll see the prompt. I did this as well. Don't know if it was necessary but why not use all the tools in the shed.