Transferring wifi password

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HermyStar, Apr 25, 2013.

1. HermyStar macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4. I have forgotten the wifi password in my house, and I don't have it written down. My iPhone 3G has the password on it and can connect, but it's iOS version can't be upgraded for most of my important apps to work. I need to somehow get the password from the 3G and put it on the 4.

I know that a jailbroken iPhone can get a wifi passwords app from cydia, but I have no idea where to begin jailbreaking. I'm really stuck here. Does anyone know how I can get the password? If not, can you guide me through jailbreaking?

2. LFMNX macrumors regular

I do not know the answer to your question. However can you access your router setup with a computer and "define" a new password. The model number of the router and manual should help guide you.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wouldn't it be easier to reset the router and set a new password ? Which would be also a good security practice.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You probably have to reset your router to the default password (try Google) and then log in and reconfigure. This time write the password down. :D

5. HermyStar thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a shared computer. I can't reset the password without angering a large family, and they don't have the password either.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Well *somebody* gotta be in charge in that household and if it ain't u, oops. My take is WIFI pwds are encrypted and unbreakable.

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You can use redsn0w to jailbreak the device if it's on a supported firmware version. What iOS is the 3G on?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This sounds...weird to me, NO ONE in the house knows the password, yet would all be angry if you changed it? I'm not saying you're doing something fishy, I've just never lived anywhere where this is the case.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

How would resetting it anger them? If you reset it they will know what it is now.

10. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

Well obviously, someone knew because they told you it.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you JB your iphone you can install the package called "wifi Passwords".
    The app displays all the wifi passwords you have entered when connecting to secure networks.